i cant tell...

jugglost

ive made a few post here since i joined about a week or 2 ago. love this place. i just bought my first teggy. a 92 DA with a b18. its given me a few problems, but i love this car. by far, my favorite car that ive owned so far. gonna post the thread on my build soon. but the reason that im postin is i think i may have a blown head gasket. now ive heard that its hard to warp the head on these motors, but i wanna diagnose it before i do any damage. right now the cat is off because some jackass decided he needed it more than i do, but when i turn the car off, theres a cloud off white smoke comin from under car where the manifold goes into the exhaust system. i dont know if its because theres the gap in the exhaust, or if its what i think it is and i blew the gasket. its not over heating, and as for as i can tell im not losing any coolant, but there is a small oil leak from what looks to be either the valve cover or the head gasket. anybody got any advice. sorry about the dupli-post. i know this has to have been posted before, but i cant find any other post with stolen cats and the same problem im having.

Prozon

Kris
Well first thing's first.

Fix your exhaust. Either weld in a piece of pipe, or get the cat replaced. After that clean your engine off and see where the leak is from, if it is from the valve cover go buy a kit and replace the gasket.

Does the car smoke all the time, or just when you shut it off?

heritage36

Prozon is right, fix the exhaust, and then replace the valve cover gasket and tube seals. Put a little hondabond in the corners where the cam runs through too, helps seal it better. Sounds unlikely from what you say that you have a blown head gasket. You would likely have coolant and oil mixing which looks like chocolate milk and is obvious. You could run a compression test too to verify that. Usually it was only the B17s that blew headgaskets time to time.

jugglost

thats exactly what i was thinking. theres no chocolate milk lookin mix so i kinda figured that i wouldnt be a blown head, besides, ive seen these engines run with water and have no issues (not that i would do so). just found out that im gonna be shy gettin the cat put back on, so for now im just gonna pipe it up and do a full system replacement when i get paid again. ill do that valve cover today.

jugglost

Well first thing's first.

Fix your exhaust. Either weld in a piece of pipe, or get the cat replaced. After that clean your engine off and see where the leak is from, if it is from the valve cover go buy a kit and replace the gasket.

Does the car smoke all the time, or just when you shut it off?
yea, theres only the smoke when i shut it off, and a bit of burn off from the leaking oil from under the hood. thats what made me think it was the valve cover. the fact that the smoke was white made me think it was the head. its all good. i get two projects today instead of one. paint the cover and replace that gasket.

emd513

check your radiator and see if there is a oily residue in there. just cause the oil is fine doesnt mean its not leaking the other way. mine did. i had no water going in to the oil but had some oil going in to the water. also how long has it been doing it. mine would before it started to over heat from water loss. also again even if you have a little water going in the oil your oil filter will filter out little amounts of water at a time making it harder to tell. check you radiator, do a compression test.

jugglost

check your radiator and see if there is a oily residue in there. just cause the oil is fine doesnt mean its not leaking the other way. mine did. i had no water going in to the oil but had some oil going in to the water. also how long has it been doing it. mine would before it started to over heat from water loss. also again even if you have a little water going in the oil your oil filter will filter out little amounts of water at a time making it harder to tell. check you radiator, do a compression test.
didnt think to test radiator. ill give that a look. im gonna check the oil pan for that leak as well. this car sat for quite some time, so i thinking that some of the gaskets dry rotted it wasnt moved for like 2 years, just started every now and then.