Looking for new block or what else is needed

OnlyOneTone

I have a 90 LS. Right now I have 300k+ and I know something is going to go wrong soon. I don't know what I should replace first. I'm not very mechanically inclined but do have a shop that will do pretty much anything. My teg runs like poo right now and I don't know exactly what I should replace. Any help would be appreciated.

dlo253

Well chances are you will be able to keep your block. May need a hone, or bore and hone. What is wrong right now?

simplels

how is your compression? have your shop check your compression on all cylinders..

you may just need a rebuild.. new bearings.. piston rings.. head gasket..

what's your budget? do you want to build it for performance?

and yes as the previous poster asked.. what's wrong with it? just runs really weak?

OnlyOneTone

Compression is decent. A lot of the issues came from not having a muffler but I just fixed that. Its just not running at a normal level. My budget is around 800-1000. IThings I know I need are a new starter (lags starting sometimes) and a distributor. I know the engine needs something. It just feels slow and laggy. Nothing like it should feel. I'm looking to get it running a step or two above stock. Also I have no idea what a hone is. Mind explaining?

fowler.j.12

Hone is where you take away all the little stuff from the outside of a cylinder wall. Keep the same 81mm bore and just resurface the walls.

If it has that many miles on it I recommend a hone. If you want to step up a tad, go with bore to 81.5 or 82 and get new pistons with higher compression. Do a full gasket kit on it and go from there. I would recomend getting your head cleaned as well. At least a valve adjustment or something.

simplels

if your compression is not an issue..

you might want to check your ignition if it isn't running that well.

how are is your distributor cap.. rotor.. spark plug wires.. spark plugs?

have you done the timing belt? tensioner? water pump? o2 sensors?

djzachtyler

Looking for my next Teg..
start with basic tune up items like listed above.. laggy could be mechanical timing is a tad off or ignition timing is set incorrectly at the distributor.

fould o2 sensor (there is only 1 on a 90-91 teg) could be the cause if it is only noticeable at operating temps (o2 doesn't start reading till exhaust manifold reached 300 degrees )

also could be that you need a valve adjustment. (is there excessive clicking near the top pf the engine?)

could be a weak/failing coil too.

TBH a B18A1 motor will feel a little sluggish in the bottom end until you upgrade the intake and exhaust manifolds ( at least that was my experience) even after addressing all tune up issues and verifying overall engine integrity.

OnlyOneTone

Thanks for the help guys. The intake is upgraded. Pretty much the only upgrade I have. What exactly would an upgrade to the exhaust manifolds be?

OnlyOneTone

Also what spark plugs/spark plug wires would you suggest?

I checked both of those to find out that my wires are bad. 1 isn't clicking in so moisture is getting in.

simplels

i would go with NGK plugs with NGK wires..

intake manifold connects to the head on the intake side..
exhaust manifold is the header connected to the head on the exhaust side..