loud high pitch whistle

mikee

hey guys well I have a 99 type r I did the swap from my GSR around 2 months go....well when my car warms up I get a LOUD high pitch whistle it seems to happen when I am idle or dont have a lot of pressure on gas pedal ,when throttle is open the noise goes away, iv looked under the hood many times...changed the clamps on the intake changed the throttle body,changed the gasket...even changed the intake manifold..(cleaned them all MANY times). seems to be coming from the throttle body area....the throttle body I got was used...im thinking maybe map sensor gasket is leaking a bit of air.....(im sure u guys know how hard it is to take off when screws are chewed)this is really confusing me guys and need help..i would like to drive my type r for first time without people looking at me other then how loud my vtec is...:)

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Could be a vacuum leak. Does it idle high?
Could be a loose/old accessory belt.
Could be a rape whistle stuck in your intake.

mikee

it ured to idle high but cus of other reasons but I did play with the timing(dizzy) at moment no..

Muckman

Not a M0derator
you shouldnt have to adjust the distributor to get the idle rpm down. it sounds like you have a vac leak.

endo617

Rattle Can Technician
I have a have the same whistle, it's the throttle body. Common with ITR's. Some have played with the idle screw to make it go away. I don't mind it myself.

mikee

thank you ur not the first person to say to play with screw [personally I didn't know u can play with tha)t...I wl;l and tell you how it goes 2mwr

DonJulio

Reppin' tha NW
Aftermarket air intakes tend to make cars whistle, or your throttle cable is too tight and air is cutting past the butterfly at a high velocity. It's just like blowing air past the mouth of a bottle.

I personally like the whistle.

If it isn't the intake or butterfly it's a vac leak.

mikee

thank you ,the screw didn't work....and iv been spraying all over the manifold for leaks and nothing....but when the noise came about it WAS around the time I tightened the cable...I will try that today..and let u know how it goes

mikee

i just tried adjusting the throttle.......nothing....it wasn't tight enough to let air escape from butterfly...im stumped ppl...even at my mechanic school they spent an hour spraying around we found nothing nothing was sucking in and blocking ,this is really staring not to make any sense not trying to change my throttle body AGAIN.. nor my intake manifold...

mikee

I found the problem it was a bad intake manifold gasket letting air escape under intake manifold thanks anyways guys