LS/vtec worth doing?

Skidileebodat

I have a pretty much stock 90 LS non vtec. My friends keep telling me i need to swap the head for a vtec head. I am wondering if it really is worth the trouble of getting it done. XD

rhdintegra

I have a pretty much stock 90 LS non vtec. My friends keep telling me i need to swap the head for a vtec head. I am wondering if it really is worth the trouble of getting it done. XD
Pick up another head for cheap or take your head off stage 4 port and polish put it back on and tuning on the ecu cheaper than anything else more ummph as well. The power and torque is almost neck to neck.

mirrorimg

Just do a K swap and be done with it, if you have the $$$.

LS/V can get costly.
LOL. There is NO WAY an LS/VTEC will cost as much as a K swap, which is about $5000.

If it cost that much, there wouldnt be any LS/VTEC and everyone would have a K in their car.

phatintegra

Banned
Accord K motor go for $1,200 my friend picked one up. Then you can swap the head for an RSX Type S. You can do it for a little over $4,000 set and done. I got about close to $4,000 into my LS/V. I still need to spend a good $600 to finish it.

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
ls/v will run you 1-2.5k depending on where you take it and how much you do your self

you need a vtec head obviously
but for the block that isnt made for the high rpm's to perform and last it must be upgraded.
you will need at the minimum rods and pistons, a sleeve would help alot but Isn't completely necessary
if you are actually interested in this you should do some research
you will need a complete head gasket kit, a vtec water pump, and i recommend arp head studs and rod bolts.

Last edited:

DumaDa9

this is what you'll need for a complete vtec conversion, at the minimum
-Complete vtec head
-arp headstuds
-arp rod bolts (so you can rev the block to 8k, i've know many people who DO NOT use these, and their motors have been running reliably for years)
-new water pump and timing belt, preferably gsr or type r
-ls vtec conversion kit (golden eagle)
-new headgasket
-Short geared transmission is highly recommended when switching from an LS motor to anything if you really want to feel it pull
-If you dont want to get tuned, you can get an obd0 b16 ecu, but you're using a 1.6 ecu for a 1.8 motor most people wouldnt recommend, but it works. If you want to get tuning, convert to obd1 with a ecu, jumper harness, obd1 dizzy and dizzy jumper harness

mirrorimg

Accord K motor go for $1,200 my friend picked one up. Then you can swap the head for an RSX Type S. You can do it for a little over $4,000 set and done. I got about close to $4,000 into my LS/V. I still need to spend a good $600 to finish it.
Well then you dont just have a LS/VTEC. You have a built LS/VTEC. In that case you are comparing apples to oranges. If its not built, then I would say somewhere you got screwed.

heritage36

I think LS/VTEC are totally worth doing, just make sure you do your research and do it right, I have seen a lot of hacked together ones that to not run right, but if you do it right, they pull nice and are fun.

Sam429

I think LS/VTEC are totally worth doing, just make sure you do your research and do it right, I have seen a lot of hacked together ones that to not run right, but if you do it right, they pull nice and are fun.
Im in the processe of building a ls vtec, but in need of help?

98gsrDc2

stolen....
It really depends on budget, HP goals, and if u r looking to boost or not...best bang for your buck would b to keep your ls motor, make sure compression and all gaskets and timing belt are good and then buy a Turbo...the money u will spend on an ls vtec will b the same as cleaning up and boosting your ls...I'd go Turbo...vtec is nice but isn't necessary