My solution to missing plasctic plugs in my center console.

IndyDC2

So I My teg has been sitting still for a while and I have had an itch to work on it. I was climbing around the inside looking for something to do and I realized I only had one of the four plastic plugs. I also took note that I had bought a sheet of 2x2 twill finished CF that was also looking for use. So I grabbed a dremel and began.

This is your most important piece right here.... the original.

DONT lose it seeing as how it will be your template for the remaining pieces.

Here is your material:

I tried multiple methods when it comes to the template and the best is simply a piece of white masking tape and a pen.

Grab some cutting wheels after you mark everything out and hack off a piece. The key with the dremel is to keep it on low speed. Reason being is because the blades are not that strong and the extra heat can begin to melt the clear/glaze on your CF as well as just snap the disc..... I think I went through 5-10 discs before I realized what was happening. Also, make sure you cut approximately 1/16th - 1/8th inch outside the line marked for the shape of the piece. The final finished shape will be obtained with the sanding tool of the dremel. That is where I spent most of the time with these pieces. It takes alot of patience and discipline to pace yourself and make sure your shaping is correct.

Piece 1.

One thing you might have to to is shave off some some of the material on the backside of the CF because it might be a different thickness than the OEM plastic pieces that were once in their place. You only need to shave on three of the four edges because there is a lip where the pieces will sit. Again use your grinding disc to achieve this

As i began making the peices, i felt that just simple replicates were not enough. I also fitted in a usb port for one that I will use down the line for the S300 interface for tuning. And I might have my friend make it to where I can use it as a powered source for my phone to plug in to.

USB Piece

I had to shave away some of the plastic that surrounded the USB port and create a lip for it to rest on CF, I whipped up a batch of JB weld to secure it to the CF piece

Repeat the template/cutting/final shaping method until you complete all 4 pieces. Somewhat tedious but IMO pretty rewarding.

Here is the finished product. Over all the project took about 3-4 hours but I did it at different times.....

Here are a couple more uses i found for the carbon fiber........

Last edited: