mystery problem I dare you to figure it out....

phinattic

Ok my 92 rs has a brake problem, the fluid is leaking out but none of the lines or calipers are leaking. I think it is coming out of the back of the master cylinder because I have noticed what I think is brake fluid on the carpet in the drivers side floor. Here is the mystery when the brake fluid gets to low the car will smoke like a train. its white smoke and its a lot of it. When I fill the brake fluid up and drive it around the block it stops. So how is brake fluid getting into my engine ? I have a brother that works in an Acura dealership and none of the techs there know how its happening. Anybody else experienced this?

myfirstacura

this one was not that hard. Your engine smoking would be because with the master cylinder leaking it will drain into the power booster and you should know that the power booster is Vacuum operated so when the booster chamber gets to the point of being able to suck up the brake fluid it will travel through the vacuum lines and then to your engine internals therefore thats why it smokes....change both and be done with it....its almost as you are sea foaming the car but with brake fluid

phinattic

Yeah I know the brake booster is vac operated. the logical thing is that the master is leaking and getting into the booster but if that was the case it would smoke all the time. It only smokes when the master cylinder is very low or out of fluid. Brake fluid is getting into the booster but why is it only when the fluid is low or almost out. If I keep it filled it will not smoke. Regardless of the reason I am replacing the master cylinder and that should fix it.