need a little help please

DustinXIX

ok so ive searched the forums for afew hours and didnt quite find anything that matched my problem.what my teg does is when i get low on gas, lets say maybe 1/4 tank or a lil more, it doesnt idle right.its very bouncy.also if im just driving and have to come to a stop, it will die on me.it starts right back up but it only does this when its low on gas.any ideas or suggestions on what it could be??also im new tothe site, i recently traded a 1994 camaro (v6) for my current DA.thanks for any help with this, will be greatly appreciated.:p

Theasian

Sounds me that its fuel pressure related. My sugestion would be get a fuel pressure gauge auto bone rents them hood it up and take a test drive. I don't remember the specs off the top of my head it is prolly in the range of 40psi idle somewhere around their. Find the actual spec for it.

Let us know what you find. What I'm thinking is as you get low fuel in the tank the pump is working harder because the micron sock around the pump pickup is clogged. When you get low on fuel the clogged sock is struggling to pick up and send the gas to the engine.

Any recent repairs or tune ups performed?

Now with your surging idle I believe that is a unrelated issue. Dose your surge only when you low on fuel or dose it do it when you first start it. Dose the it go away when the car warms up?

DustinXIX

ok thanks, i was honestly thinking the same thing with the fuel sock being clogged.and for the surging idle it only happens when its low on fuel. it doesnt matter wether its warm or cold, if its anywhere neatr a 1/4 tank it will do this.actually once it dips below 1/2 tank these issues start. .and i havent done any repairs or anything yet, tune up is next week.ive just been keepin busy de-ricing the car.had to remount the exhaust, remove underglow neons, and next out is the tail lights.

Theasian

Lol don't you love dericing, I'm going the same thing with a 98 legacy gt I bought, but I keep finding more painted interior pieces.

Ok for sure get a fuel pressure gauge and hook it up. You will be able to tell pretty quickly if the pump is causing the issue. I would also recoment replacing the fuel filter, cleaning the thottle body with throle body cleaner. Seafoam the tank and the engine. That will give you a good proper tune up

Now with the fuel pressure test you should see the fuel pressure raise and fall with the engine. Check and make sure you also have proper fuel pressure with the key on engine off and engine run at warm idle

DustinXIX

ok yeah that may help.i figured its definately gotta be fuel related lol