Oil Leak

goober

hi i hope this isn't a redundant post but i replaced my radiator today and noticed my belts were soaked with oil, there was oil on the bottom of the hood above the power steering pump. I think I am leaking oil from the crank pulley, i have recently replaced the oil pan gasket so i don't think i am leaking from the oil pan. I know the seal on the transmission side of the motor is the rear main seal, is this the same seal on the crank pulley side of the motor? I didn't see it on autozone, orielly and rock auto websites. What is the name of this seal. Since there was oil on my belt i really tightened the power steering pump belt and it seems to be worse now. Can someone tell me the name of the seal and is it hard to replace? Do you smartegra peoples have any additional information for me?:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

WegaIntegra

The seal you are talking about is the timing cover seal or the oil pump seal. different places have different ways of having it in the computer.

the leak could be coming from there. to do it right you should take the oil pan back off, take all your belts off, balancer, timing belt. after all that you can take the oil pump off and get at that seal.

goober

i am a tard and maybe i was looking in wrong the place on the websites but i found it and it's called the crankshaft seal and only costs 7.99 from auto zone. do you think i would have to get new belts or could i wash them with soap and water (i have no money:). i am worried about my timing belt too. I replaced all the belts a year ago, will oil cause them to stretch or break? so you are saying i have to remove the oil pan and oil pump? boo. the leak is getting worse. i didn't think i tightened the belts too tight but if they were to tight could the tension really be enough to pull the crankshaft over a couple millimeters? Guess I know what I am going to do this weekend.

Last edited:

Theasian

I doubt its coming from the front main If you can get a oem seal il'd recommend it. Seals are not that expensive from factory. Really what you should do is clean all the oil off with some degreaser and break clean. The rear main wont be able to get oil onto your hood. Oil drip bellow but not above.

Reason i dont believe its your front main is because it is behind the timing cover and would be nearly impossible to get onto the accessory belts to get oil on the hood. I would suspect the p/s pump leaking or maybe even a hose. Clean the area real good check all your fluid levels and clean the area real well. Keep checking periodically for the leak.

goober

you make sense man. i have had to refill my psteering lately and after i worked on my car and disconnected my pump and moving it around is when the leak got worse. big leak on the driveway. do you have to have special hoses and clamps or can i use autozone coolant/fuel hoses and hoseclamps or should i get a new pump. i don't know how to proceed, i guess i will check and see if the leak is coming from the pump or the hoses.(i hope hoses) i like autozone cause my uncle works there lol, don't get me wrong, i love working on cars and really want to make my da go go go. but i have to make it to work in the meantime.

Last edited:

g6qwerty

As mentioned above, Clean all the oil up. Its extremely hard to locate a oil leak when their is oil everywhere.

I had a Power steering leak like that once too, Had to clean all the oil up.
Then I was able to seat it was leaking from the high Pressure Power Steering hose.
So I warped some plastic around the hose and taped one side so it would drain out the bottom not spray everywhere.
Then when I had the money I replaced the Power Steering hose.

Theasian

Any band clamp will work fine. Spring clamps get weak over time forum fitted hoses from factory are nice but I've used normal hose before without problem s just not as nice lookin

goober

the power steering pulley is leaking a bit but i think i see the problem. the leak suddenly stopped to my surprise. started when i added engine oil so i believe the oil pan gaseket is leaking. when enough oil leaks from the oil pan and gets below the gasket it stops leaking. only about half a quart is missing. i have another problem though. when it rains water pours into the trunk. i have been using tarp to cover the car. i think it may be the tail lights. has anyone encountered this issue? and does anyone know where to get the rear hatch seal and the door window seals?

Last edited:

osiris19

Tail light gaskets is a good start. Where does the water leak? My trunk leaks water as well, but it gets under the carpet and doesn't touch the carpet at all.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Nick_C78

When you put the oil pan gasket on how did you do it? Meaning how did you tighten the bolts and what did you torque them to? It is very common for people to over tighten them and tear the gasket. It is also common to do it out of order and cause the seating to be uneven.

Twriddles

the tail light gaskets leaking is a pretty common problem take the rear trim our and run water over them and see if you can see it leaking, could also be your sunroof drains they may be clogged or leaking.