oil light blinking sometimes

vikkiA1

2nd gen G
it means bad oil pressure? thats what ive been told. but it doesnt do it all the time. did it when i got it in april then it stopped for a long time and today it started blinking again. theres a combo, non working oil pressure gauge w/ a working volt gauge on my dash. could it b wired wrong and affect my oil light? thanx all

Prozon

Kris
Could be low oil, bad sending unit..
Installing a mechanical oil pressure gauge could help tell you if you actually have good pressure.

vikkiA1

2nd gen G
haha i was thinking w/my dipstick jimmy lol. of coarse i checked it. its perfect level. whats a mechanical oil pressure gauge? like on the lines somewhere/uder the hood? hope i dont sound like a dumbass

rnoswal

Mechanical is a kinda of hard wiring for many measurements. Mechanical oil pressure guages use a direct port to an oil gallery that sends the oil to a guage that tells you how much pressure the engine is producing. A lot of cars go by the 10 lbs per 1000 rpm....but these cars should have at least 25 lbs at idle. It is a reading and you will know the actual oil pressure. Lites are fine, but it usually either means the engine is good or bad, or the electric sender could be bad. Frustrating when intermittent like yours. A guage is a positive and rarely goes bad and is nice to have an accurate reading at all rpms and seeing how it changes due to heat cycles.

Russ

vikkiA1

2nd gen G
thanx, thats helpful. i dont know what the dude i bought it from was thinking. pretty sure he used the dash clock wires 2run the volt gauge part, of the volt/oil pressure gauge thing he mounted on the dash. but why wouldnt he do the oil pressure instead? who cares about volts more then oil pressure? all the harness wires going2 & coming from the (under dash)fuse box are flailed all over the place, nothing is secure. its a bit of a mess and miss-matched 91-92 electrical parts lol