paint help

asianrich

My car has sun spots where it's faded to the point where it's almost white. Is there anything I can do or do I need a whole new paint job? I know maaco is cheap but I heard it's terrible

94RS

No fucks given.
Gonna have to repaint if it's almost white. And stay FAR away from Maaco, they're cheap because they don't sand/prime/clear. Even their $1200 paint job isn't exactly great for the price.

Nick_C78

Maaco actually isn't a bad idea if you prep the car before you go there. They can usually spray the car pretty well, but its usually a single stage paint, which means the "Clear" is mixed in to the paint essentially. You just might want to prep it properly yourself before taking it, including taping up little fine details you don't want sprayed, because they do a quick tape job.

asianrich

So the shop by me is trying to charge me $6500 for a paint job as well as repairing minor dings and dents and a new fender so now I'm thinking about maybe just painting it myself. Does anyone have any experience with this? I've never done this before, is it worth trying or should I just keep looking around for other places?

asianrich

This other place told me their service "starts at $4000 and maybe more depending on what needs to be done" before even looking at my car -_-

JordanB21

A lot of people don't realize the amount of time it takes to paint a car the 'right' way.
Considering the amount of time it would take to sand the entire car, then spray the entire car with paint that is more expensive than regular house paint for probably around 3galloms for our car (I'm just ball parking), and then another layer of clear coat.
If they're serious they'll tape off all the details, remove trim, possibly remove the bumpers. So on top of the supplies cost, they've got labor charges, and then if they're a good shop you have to pay them for that too.

However the shop that quoted a minimum of 4000 I wouldn't go with, if they didn't see the car and what work that needs to be done then is it really a quote?

Then also the cost of whatever it would normally be for that same company to remove the dings, how many, so on.

You could attempt to spray your car yourself, and it would be cheaper, but maybe you should get a quote on the paint, sand paper, plastic rolls to lime your garage maybe, painters mask and kit, and whatever else I'm not thinking about.

As far as the dings, id let a pro do them.

And those cheap MAACO jobs will look tacky (not tacky as In the style but it'll almost pop in color), this is because of the lack of a clear coat and if no real prep work is performed then the bonding surface won't be as good and can result in bubbles pretty easily. On top of that the paint job will look good from 5 feet away for a couple of years, after that it'll start to look like poo again, sometimes they last as long as 5 years from what I've seen.

Anyways, if you think you've got some of the know how and the ambition to your entire car I suggest watching some videos and reading a lot of how tosh before buying anything to know what you're dealing with.

zack11122

White is a nice color. Let it all fade. Clear, wetsand, buff. You just got a custom paint jlb.

asianrich

Yeah, (if I get it done) I think I'm just going to get it done professionally. I really have no idea on what to do and I'd rather not risk messing things up worse. I'm just a little bummed because I knew it was going to be expensive ($1000-$2500) but I didn't expect it to be THAT expensive. That's $6500 that I could spend on parts or a down payment on a car.

Last edited:

JordanB21

Personally body is the last thing on my mind so long as the panels aren't rusting over. I'd rather focus on interior comforts, suspension, quality of the ride, and performance. Body is the last thing.

Because when a girl gets in your car and the cold a/c hits her and your jdm everything looks cool and you're shifting that five speed shell and you will forget about how the car looks on the outside. ;)

DonJulio

Reppin' tha NW
Look good as hell, while being slow.

Look good, move fast.

Ugly as hell, fast as shit.

If you want to look good and haul ass, you gotta spend a lot more money in both departments.

Or not buy a faded old nonvtec pile of junk to start with , like me lmao.

Nick_C78

Yeah, for 6500 you could just buy a very very clean gsr that doesn't need paint and still have plenty left for mods.

Oh and I read something that bugged me....3 gallons to paint the car? Dude, are you painting a semi truck and its trailer?