Painting my vavle cover

TegGirl

Ok so I am about to remove my valve cover to paint it and my question is: is it necessary to buy a new gasket seal for when I put my valve cover back on or can I just use the one that is already on now? I don't seem to be having any leaks so I figured if I could save a buck and use the old one, that would be awesome.

RonnieJ86

when ever you remove the valve cover they always replace it so it wont be any leaks. you dont have any leaks now but when you take it off it could cause a leak when put back on.

osiris19

You should buy a new gasket just to be safe. It's always a good idea to replace any gaskets when removing engine parts, although if it's not that old and appears to be in good shape i.e. no cracking or hardness, then you may get away with reusing it for awhile. I wouldn't do it though.

TegGirl

Thanks for the advice. i'll just buy a new one.

dlo253

Sometimes they get all stretched out, makes it a bitch to get on good. Just take your time and make sure it stays in good. You should be fine, if it pops out..just be patient

Sammich

yes. recently, actually. Like within the past 6 months
if that's the case i wouldnt worry about putting a new VC gasket on it. just clean the surface and the VC gasket and put the sealant on it. you'll be fine

GenChi00

Yeah you'll need permatex copper sealant in the corners of the cam caps (the little half moon shaped things, two on either side, iE 8 corners), that's what the fac service manny says.

GenChi00

OH FYI, why are you painting? You should look into powdercoating. Its way way more durable, costs a little bit more than proper paint work, but looks like a million bucks!

Sammich

^but is not needed...its not like you're going to be hitting up against it worry about it chipping. you can also paint w/ the same kind of 'million dollar' look

8urcivic

ONLY couches pull out!!!!
^but is not needed...its not like you're going to be hitting up against it worry about it chipping. you can also paint w/ the same kind of 'million dollar' look
true story.

not to thread jack, but im sure i have a spare vc of whatever model you have....if you want to take your time on it, pm me what you have and ill sell you one for cheap.