Problems with Oil

3Axis

mothaf*cka...
I have an interesting problem with my oil levels. I'm kind of in a jam and this is all frustrating.

If anyone has heard, I just picked up an engine from a wrecked 91 LS with approximately 95,000 miles on it, because my original engine, with 212,000 was on it's way out. Anyway the new engine is in and it's running great. The only problem is the oil. It seems as though it's burning again. I feel like it's the oil I put in for the change. It's a very cheap store-level oil called "Parts Master" and is apparently a conventional off-brand variant of Valvoline or something. Sadly, it's the oil I used in my other engine. Anyway, having gotten a new apartment new Burlington VT, I was short on cash, and having a new engine with the old oil still in it, I was anxious to get it changed to a fresh batch. The oil in there never leaked or burned. Even after a week of driving to work to build up some cash to pay my rent, the oil was at the top mark where it should be. Then I did the oil change, and next thing I'm burning oil at an increased rate. Having noticed this I just bought some Amsoil Synthetic 5W-30—for once I bought synthetic. I'm done with this Parts Master garbage It doesn't burn oil as fast as the 212K engine, but I don't like seeing oil gone. I f***ing hate it. I have been reading up on conventional oil and it's associated phenomenon of "burning away" in higher performance engines.

So my question is, and I really really need insight from some motorheads and Honda peeps who can set me straight on this...
Will that cheap conventional oil have harmed my engine in any that I will need to keep adding oil—like the stem seals—I mean it has 96,000 on it now and that mileage should mean the rings have to be better. The power just picks up amazingly. Should the synthetic straighten it out so I don't have to think about it as often?

Thanks guys. See ya.

Last edited:

Its a honduh

10 30 lol better for burning oil motors

Sent from tapataalllkk

3Axis

mothaf*cka...
Well the thing is my engine only seems to burn the cheap conventional oil. What I'm asking is if using the synthetic means it's not going to disappear as likely as the cheap stuff, or if I permanently doomed my engine to lose oil because of the cheap stuff.

Its a honduh

If ur motor is using oil its gunna use it wether it leaks out or burns a little i recomend synthetic 10 30 it will not break down as fast

Sent from tapataalllkk

dlo253

Its not because that oil. I've ran that before with no issues. Step up to a 10 30 for starters. Never see any type of smoke out the exhaust?

Muckman

Not a M0derator
I agree with everyone else. Try a thicker oil. 10w30 is easy to find or 10w40 if you can find it. I used to have a 91 with 200k miles that burned oil. I ran 20w50 with stop smoke additive for 6 months until I pushed that car off a cliff.

Oil consumption is either from the piston rings or the valve seals. Neither of which I doubt you want to tackle. Valve seals can be done without removing the head but its likely the guides are worn and the valve wobbles which is causing them to leak in the first place. Just try thicker oil for now.

Zombiegurl81

HFF Beginner
It sounds like you have two issues (and this is just my opinion so don't quote me). The first is that you're using a oil that is too light for the motor you have 10w30 is the lightest you should be using. Second if the new motor was using a synthetic to begin with then using a conventional oil it could have caused some break down of the internals. You never switch oils suddenly from one to the other. You didn't know so don't feel bad about it. But that's my theory.

3Axis

mothaf*cka...
Second if the new motor was using a synthetic to begin with then using a conventional oil it could have caused some break down of the internals.
Well the thing is that's what I'm worried about. It's not bad oil, it's cheap oil that can't hold it's own. It's surprising how poor it operated in a 22 year old engine. It's some Valvoline off-brand substance. Anyway, I didn't have a choice. I was down on cash having paid for rent. It was either new oil or another week and a half on oil which I didn't know how long was in there. The good news is that I just changed to the Amsoil after 1000 miles with the cheap stuff.

Last edited: