Raidiator fan stays on when car is off

TruBlu

My radiator cooling fans are staying on after my car is fully off and key is out. This issue just started, any tips?

Slow_Teggy

My radiator cooling fans are staying on after my car is fully off and key is out. This issue just started, any tips?
I had a similar issue but mine was cause by constant electrical power to the fan, I put the fan on it's own flip switch, I know that's not the best solution but it was a quick easy fix

cvcrcr99

Does it stay on until the battery dies, or does it eventually turn off?

dlo253

It will turn off. Usually its just after long drives. When you park and shut the car off the water stops moving and is not being cooled. The fan gets turned on by a thermostatic switch when the coolant climbs back up to a certain temp.

If it stays on until it kills the battery check for a stuck relay. If it turns off after a while, it's normal as stated above.

TruBlu

Yea it's weird, it never did this b4, and it does eventually go off with out killing the battery, but now has started overheating after a short period of driving. Ill deff take a look into my relay. Thanx for the help. (Separate switch not a bad idea, I wouldn't mind).

cvcrcr99

I would start focusing on the overheating problem if anything. Do the fans operate while the car is on? That would be one of the first things to check. You can also jump the switch and have the fans on all the time while driving to see if that changes anything for the time being.

TruBlu

any chance this could be my water pump gone bad? is there a way of figuring this out before taking things apart?

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Huh, I've never seen my car run the fan after the car's off, and I've had it for 13 years! But then again, I consciously don't drive hard right up until I get to where I'm going, I'll lay off the engine and try give it at least a minute or two to let the coolant circulate and cool itself. Dunno if it really makes a difference but it can't hurt.

any chance this could be my water pump gone bad? is there a way of figuring this out before taking things apart?
Water pumps don't go bad that often from what I've seen.
Pressure test your cooling system, do a leak down test and a compression test on the engine. Check that your thermostat isn't stuck as well.

djzachtyler

Looking for my next Teg..
the fan timer will run the fans for up to 15 minutes after you shut off. If it runs past that then as DLO & Talon said you likely have a bad relay, or faulty ECT switch... there is nothing else that as anything to really do with the fans except possily a grounding issue...

Mishimoto

Product Manufacturer
Some good advice in this thread. Did you ever figure out the issue?

It sounds like your fans are staying on after you shut down the car because the car is overheating, so I would figure out that issue first.