Running Rich, helpp??

subbyzzz

I'm not too mechanically inclined, my buddy said my cars running rich.. he said that's not a bad thing, it gives me a little extra power but it uses more oil/gas than needed. I'm trying for fuel economy. Dude I bought the car from said he adjusted the timing to take premium gas.. so I've been putting premium in. I don't want my car to run rich. I want it all stock pretty much... buddy swiped his finger in the exhaust and a bunch of shit was on his finger. We're raplacing the oil pan gasket this weekend.. any suggestions on how to fix this "running rich" I don't know anything besides the adjusted timing to take 92 octane.

teg cruzr

Dirty air filter, O2 sensor, vacuum leak and tune up parts can all have something to do with running rich. Also IAVC, FITV, if you got'em, Check your timing to see how far home-slice advanced it. The soot in
the exhaust is probably blow by. (oil that get past the rings in the cylinders) This is very common with dumbasses that like to rev the piss out of thier motors. Was the previous owner a wanna be racer?
High miles can also cause blow by.
So..reset your timing, check your tune up parts and check your gas mileage.
Since your buddy is an expert, have him help you out.