Sad day for my DA. RIP b18a1

MeanManMongo

91 LS
Yesterday I decide to go into work a little early. My DA dies as soon as I coast off the exit ramp and I start it back up as soon as I can. I get a hunting idle from 1k down to 100 and every time it goes down my oil light is flashing. I'm almost to work at this time and every time I stop, my car dies. I start it up and get to work as fast as I can. I get to my parking lot and hear what appears to be a knock in my motor. Sure enough it gets worse and my teggy has a hard time running. I get it towed home (which is about a good 30min drive not including the rush hour) and then begin to check anything that it could possibly be. Take it to a shop and just got a text saying its throwing a rod. Well I was preying to god it would be something as little as a timing issue because the knock was not too bad. But it will now need to be replaced. My question to any of you guys... What would be a good swap? I would love LS V-tec but I'm afraid I may not have the money for that. What would you swap your b18a1 out with? Prices would be great, and clearly it will differ but I am looking for a general idea. Thanks guys!

MeanManMongo

91 LS
I will be attending UTI on 8/19 this year and really need to save as much as possible. I was going to start by saving this years tax return that will be hopefully around 600. But now this is my top priority. I am planing on building a B18c while in college so for now I have been thinking of the b16 or 17. Hell even a b20. I just need something ASAP. My budget is around 600 which I know wont get me too far.

enoch723

I think the better question is how did it throw a bearing? Was is low on oil, bad oil, running hot, or just not sure. What ever it was just make sure not to do it again. either way though, I understand the school dilema, I would see if you can apply for any loans or something. I would just go with another stock b18 though.. doesnt really matter c1 or c or even b in my opinion. A b18 is a b18 in my eyes. Your still getting a decent power house to build off that has decent gas milage for a fairly good price. As a college student thats whats going to matter in the end too. Every dollar you can save I;m sure will be going back into the car

djzachtyler

Looking for my next Teg..
from the description in the OP's first post... he had an oil pump failure which caused sudden loss of oil pressure ( this would cause your flashing oil warning) at the point this first happened it was a huge error to even try starting the car again or attempt to drive it.

I guarantee what you managed to do is run the motor dry which fried your rings first and eventually fried you rod bearings and so on.

you need a complete inspection and rebuild if you plan to keep that motor. Alternatively my recomendation is get another B18A1 motor and swap it in. this will be your cheapest remedy and fall easily into your 600 dollar budget as a complete LS block (b series motor nick name fyi) can usually be found in the 400 dollar range.

then Keep the old motor for your college project and make an LS/VTEC motor out of it :)

Last edited:

MeanManMongo

91 LS
Thanks guys. Im going to run up to pick and pull and see what they have out there. Ill post on what I find. :D

I don't know about where you are but here we can get jdm b20s for 535, long block, ~45k, and will drop right in depending on the year of the motor