Seeping oil on engine

jimwww

Hi guys, I have a 91 2dr and when the hood is open you can see some oil has been down the front of the engine (seep not flowing). Now I had that happen in my old Jeep YJ and all it was was a valve cover gasket. The dealer told me that every old honda or Acura he has seen has had this. Is it common?
Is it just a valve cover? When driving city and moving the heater control to open instead of recirculate you can smell oil - just a bit (not on hwy).

Any ideas? Anything common I should look for?

rockadilla

thats right.
yeah its most likely just the valve cover gasket, u can get a new one for $20. it should probably be replaced every time u take the valve cover off just some people are lazy/cheap/poor and dont get a new one every time.

jznsn2u

It could possibly be a mixture of things, bad valve cover gasket, cam seal, etc. Got any pics?

jimwww

sure.. i can take some pics later today. I will post them later - I think it is a valve cvr gasket too.. (by the way rockadilla - love the rims - can you tell me the tire size and rim size as well as rim name)

Last edited:

mirrorimg

When driving city and moving the heater control to open instead of recirculate you can smell oil - just a bit (not on hwy).

Any ideas? Anything common I should look for?
Building up under the car, dripping onto the header.

Valve cover gasket, Cam seal, and the Distributor O-ring are all likely culprits of a little leak. Just depends on where its located.

DAWGSwlms22

My integra did the same thing. i replaced the valve cover gasket, and it stopped. thats prob your best bet.

SnD3

I have a similar leak, which seems to be coming from the bearing journals, on the distributor side of the engine... The little black cap on mine is split, and seems to have some oil leaking down near the distributor! lol

jimwww

Found out that there is a bit of oil on my spark plugs - so I will need more than a valve cover gasket. Damn.

rockadilla

thats right.
sure.. i can take some pics later today. I will post them later - I think it is a valve cvr gasket too.. (by the way rockadilla - love the rims - can you tell me the tire size and rim size as well as rim name)
17' ADR M-Sports. tire size is 205/50/17 i think

mirrorimg

Found out that there is a bit of oil on my spark plugs - so I will need more than a valve cover gasket. Damn.
In the plug tubes?

Get the valve cover gasket kit then. It will have the VC gasket, and 4 spark plug tube seals.

jimwww

Great to know. I will get the kit. I am getting the camshaft seals too. Just too much leaking.

Last edited: