Shutting off fuel pump

Catamount13

So I went to relieve the pressure in the fuel lines, started by disconnecting the plug that I think is the power to the fuel pump (took off the cover and unplugged the only thing there).

Now, according to my haynes manual I should let it run and it should stall out soon. That's where I had a problem, it ran for 15-20 minutes. could someone give me a quick walk through so I can see where I went wrong? I feel like an idiot not being able to get something this simple

j13

Keep It Clean
Are you trying to instill a new fuel filter?

Unplug the fuel pump(same thing as you did) run the car until their isn't any fuel in the line. Than get to work on whatever you're trying to do.

Catamount13

Is there just one plug to disconnect? I ran my car for half an hour with it disconnected.

I hope I'm not an idiot, but here's a pic of the plug i disconnected:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

spyk3

just loosen the 6mm service bolt on top of the fuel filter....

quote from alldata
WARNING:

Do not smoke while working on the fuel system. Keep open flames or sparks away from your work area.
Be sure to relieve fuel pressure while the engine is off.
NOTE: Before disconnecting fuel pipes or hoses, release pressure from the system by loosening the 6 mm service bolt on top of the fuel filter

after lookin at that plug that is the sending unit....remove back seat to get to the fuel pump

spyk3

if that was the fuel pump, where is the gas lines? according to alldata thats the sending unit...

avan

That is correct. That is a sending unit. Remove the entire seat further and you will see another silver looking cap ( access panel) covered by three phillip screw heads. Remove that cap and you will see the electrical connection to the fuel pump as well as the fuel line and the evaporator line. Remove the six locking nut circumferentially and you can lift the entire fuel pump unit out.

4drs=morewhores

Master-D-B-ate
Once u disconnect the fuel pump, it should stall out in seconds. Once it stalls start it again just to be sure, then you can get to work

echo

Could a fuel pump kill switch be used as an alternative method and then change the fuel filter?

mirrorimg

Could a fuel pump kill switch be used as an alternative method and then change the fuel filter?
Would be the same as unplugging the actual fuel pump, but require splicing wires. A fuel cut is simple cutting into the 12v wire for the fuel pump, and putting a switch inline (or a more extravagant design).