Simple question from a layman.

MrBean

You've replaced the starter, checked the battery cables and fuses. Only three more components control power to the starter solenoid:

The ignition switch sends power to the starter relay with blk/wht wire.
Starter relay gets ground from the clutch interlock switch with blk / blu wire.
Clutch must be pushed down to close switch to ground with blk wire.

Do like DagoAcura92 said and jump the two wires together at the clutch switch. 50/50 left between ignition and relay if the problem is still there.

I never seen the relay, but I can hear it click inside the car, behind the dash in the middle. It has four connections and the two thin wires have the colors mentioned above.

Just to be sure, when you turn the key nothing happens ... just silence. Engine does not try to turn, not even the click of the starter solenoid outside the car?

Last edited:

justincpowell

1991 Acura Integra GS
Mr. Bean

My car is a Manual transmition. When you speak of the starter relay, you're referring to the one under the dash...the main relay? If that's case then yes, I've tested every fuse on it both relating to the starting system and otherwise. When I tested the solenoid voltage I used the negative battery terminal.

justincpowell

When I turn the ignition to 'On' everything works as you would expect (wipers, lights, dash lights, etc) and I hear a brief hum from the engine compartment. Turning the ignition results in nothing...though the beeping noise it makes when you first turn it on (the one that alerts you that the car is on) goes off. Like if I just switched it to 'Off' and back on again.

I ask about the PCM because a friend of mine had a similar problem with a slightly newer model Integra ('92 I think) and replacing that unit is what resolved it. His car actually had a dash light for the PCM which often would not come on when the car was initially started. My car doesn't have this light and the Check Engine light should come on from what I understand.
to meet emmission standards for our market a check engine light has to self check(come on when the ignition is turned to on) then go off after a few seconds. if it doesnt you may be throughing codes and not know it. you will have to use a scan tool to check it. well normally PCM failure will cause emission problems first but i cant fully diagnos it until i could be there. so if i was you id find a well rounded mechanic and have him look at it. it's very possible but dont jump to such a costly conclusion. try to get a pcm to borrow and swap the two(takes maybe 5 minutes lol) to see if that fixes it.

RedAphex

justincpowell

Yea, I'm mildly aware of how the car's diagnostic system works. Unfortunately in my case the check engine light does exactly what it's supposed to do. Unless I'm wrong, this would indicate that the computer doesn't have any diagnostic codes stored. It would be great if it did though...

RedAphex

Alright, so I found the starter relay and according to some of the wiring documentation it's not working properly. I've ordered an exact replacement and it should be here within a week. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

RedAphex

Well, I got the new relay (which is an exact replacement) and it doesn't work. I was sure that it would because when i jumped the terminals the car fired right up. So basically I just clipped the plug off the end of the wires and twisted them to their respective pairs. Starting the car is no longer a problem but I'm still really perplexed by the result.

I'll post a pic of the relay for educational purposes. It was located inbetween the radio and the blower unit way out in BFE.