starting issues

janathan15

I have been experiencing sporadic starting issues. Some days the car starts instantly, other days it takes two to four tries (no sounds) before starting and others, nothing at all. It's frustrating since sometimes after starting up perfect and parking, I come back to the car for no start. Perfect when jumped. Nothing is left on (checked for parasitic draw), fuses have been checked (all good), battery posts were cleaned, terminals changed, fairly new battery (6 months), new starter and alternator.

Any suggestions as to what could be the cause? Mahalo

zack11122

I'm thinking maybe main relay? When it doesn't start do you hear the hum of your fuel pump? And are the battery cables tight?

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

chris89883

so is it cranking over and not starting? or is it not doing anything at all?

i just fixed the main relay on mine, a good way to tell is it will usually start for a second at first because of the pressure in the lines, then it will die. at least thats what mine did.

another check would be to see if you have good spark when its not starting. if you dont have spark it is probably the distributor.

janathan5

When it's a no start day, no sounds, no crank. But if it does crank, it will start.

Today, car seems to be starting up normal but yesterday was a no start, had it jumped.

janathan5

Well I swapped out the main relay and it worked all today and yesterday but after I got home from work, it's back to square one, no crank no start. Any suggestions

DonJulio

Reppin' tha NW
Main relays must be used new oem or reflown and soldered.

You probably have 2 duds on your hands.

Common main relay failure is difficulty to start cold, difficult to start after stalling, difficult to start in hot weather.

I would start with your main relay being resoldered and checking all your grounds.