Tach going crazy and stutering at the same time

acbock

So i haven't found this particular problem on here yet..... To begin, the tach jumps randomly, usually running slightly higher and lower. sometimes it seems like when the tach us jumpy the engine is stuttering at the same time. it use to only happen at higher rpm and not effect the engine at all(no lose of power or timing issues). the car does drive normal when going less than 50mph and the tach behaves when keeping the rpm down. Idles fine never dies. it just seems to me the tach is shorting out the motor, or the crank sensor is going bad causing split second stuttering.. idk please help

acbock

just changes the thermostat in the summer. will a tach that shorts out mess up the engine.
and the engine does stutter mostly only when i have been driving for a while with the rpm near or slightly above 3000. it seems to stop right away when i slow down and reduce the rpm

Last edited:

acbock

is there a ground wire down there? i think my mechanic checked that but im not sure cause i was haveing dis problems before...

djzachtyler

Looking for my next Teg..
there is the main ground from the negative battery cable that goes to top of transmission, Thermostat housing, should be another from the valve vover to the radiator support and another that goes from the block to the frame also... check them all and make sure the connections are clean.

Also make sure your negative battery cable clamp is secure... as they get worn and stretched the eventually make bad contact.. I recently had my teg crap out and it was that stupid terminal clamp..

If you rule out grounds I would next check the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) make sur eit is cleaned out.

acbock

i have personally replaced all of those grounds, except for the block to the frame and the thermostat one. plus i also replaced the pos and neg battery terminals and wires, the neg i replaced the whole thing like you said it only goes down and round to the tranny, and the pos i replaced all the way into the first fuse junction box under the hood. i have been after grounds like crazy lately. this tach issue has been getting worse over time. it only used to jump around when i was over 4000. now its at 3000 and even lower it did it to me yesterday. i have also just swapped the tranny with one from a 90 got all my gears back and a new clutch. thats the only major work ive done lately. idk this tach problem started like 3 years ago but i paid no attention to it cause the car still drove fine just didn't like going fast.

dlo253

You sure it's not mechanical, rather than a malfunctioning tach....? I mean, you said the engine is sputtering while the tach is jumping, it should be if the engine is sputtering. Are you aware of the health of your engine?

djzachtyler

Looking for my next Teg..
yeah forget about the IACV... if this is when the car is being driven this sounds like a timing issue or something is not right with the motor...

you may want to post something in the engine section of G2IC.com.. wait for a member named Welfare to respond.. he's probably have a good clue as to what you need to look at.