Timing belt question

AZAcura

I'm a total newbie so bear with me. I have a 1992 Integra GS with 84,000 miles on it--yes, that's all!. I'm planning a long (2000+ mile) trip and a mechanic warned me that I should have the timing chain replaced and that it would cost me about $900. Doesn't this car have a timing belt and not a timing chain? How easy is it to check the belt myself (or have another mechanic look at it) to see if it may need to be replaced? How much should it cost to have a mechanic replace a timing belt? Thanks so much!

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
about 900 sounds about right. You can do it yourself, but if you do it wrong it can have severe consequences. You can get a second opinion too.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Even with such low miles old parts can still crack, rot, stretch, rust etc. Replace the timing belt. And get a second estimate if you want.

AZAcura

Thanks for the info. Is it a big job to check the belt to see if it needs to be replaced?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
i usually pop the valve cover, and the timing cover (10mm bolts) and spin the crank with a 19mm socket (counter clockwise). and just inspect the belt for cracking and stuff

AZAcura

Super. Thanks for the info. Here's hoping the belt is still in good shape and if not, I like my Acura!

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
honestly, i would take it to the dealership. I prefer using OEM parts vs aftermarket.