trouble shoot

SN1P3R

hey, so this morning my radiator blew the hole bottom out, i have a new motor for car but will not be able to instal it tell summer, and was wondering if anyone thinks there is a compression or presser problem? because it had actually exploded and the hole bottom is gone, let me know thoughts plz this my daily driver and need back on road asap.

Slo_Teggy

Slow Driver
Might just have a bad/old rad. Go to the scrap yard and find one that is in good shape, install it and see if anything happens. I highly doubt a compression issue would blow the bottom off a rad. Those tings are build to withstand a lof of pressure, more then the cooling system can give.

Spend the $20 on a rad and see if it blows. If so, then the easiest thing to do in your scinario would be swap the engine.

mirrorimg

Either your thermostat is bad or your radiator cap is bad. Potentially both.

The pressure builds up in the system as the temperature rises. The thermostat is supposed to open up the coolant passage to allow the coolant to flow through the system. If it is stuck closed, you normally overheat. If it doesnt overheat before too much pressure builds (or you have a weak spot in the cooling system) you can have an issue like what happened to you.

Also, the radiator cap is spring loaded, and should lift and release some pressure into the overflow tank as well once a certain point is reached. maybe yours is old/bad, so I would replace it when you get a new radiator.

SN1P3R

thanks guys, i bought a new(ish) radiator and thermostat so hopefully it will be ok, i will let u guys no if it holds