valve adjusting help.....

krazyreese

hi, i have a 92 b18a1 with a b20 head. i just did the head gasket on it and would need to do an engine flush do to oil in coolant throughout engine. but my thing is, im trying to figure out the adjustment on the cams. i did it so many times but still runs like crap. i did the timing, plugs, thermostat, and everything else that has to do with replacing the head gasket. but once i start it and then drive it, i get this clicking sound on driver side and somewhat of a sputter when driving. can someone please tell the correct way of adjusting the cams? do the cam lobs have to be pointing up at tdc?

please help....and thanks

mirrorimg

Are you sure you set the timing properly with a timing light?

If you haven't done a valve lash adjustment, you should. You can find the specs in a manual for what to set it at using feeler gauges. And FYI, a B20 head is no different from a LS head if you have one stamped PR4 or P75.

krazyreese

yea i did and redid all that i could with the timing. everyday i go out and spin the crank pully with a wrench and all the marks are hitting dead on. i was thinking it might have jumped a tooth like everyone is saying but not even that. ok so when i adjust the lash on the cams, do i put the feeler gauge through the front or back to get a proper adjustment? im thinking that its the cams chattering cuz it gets louder as i hit the gas. but when it sits at an idle i can barely hear it. i was told by a shop that the intake should be at .005 and ex. should be at .007. is this right?

mirrorimg

A timing light hooks up to the battery and checks the pulses for the injectors. You adjust that by rotating the distributor to advance or retard the timing. Did you do this?

Those specs sound about right.
Intake is probably: .004-.006
Exhaust is probably: .006-.008

Actually after a quick search:
B18B1:
Intake: 0.08 - 0.12mm (0.003 - 0.005")
Exhaust: 0.16 - 0.20mm (0.006 - 0.008")

I would set your intake to .004.

j13

Keep It Clean
Please for the love of god..please to the valve lash adjustment when COLD. The engine must be 100% COLD. I learned this the hard way.

krazyreese

lol, ok j13 i hear ya! i going to try and do the intake at .004 and ex. at .006. should i stick the feeler gauge where the adjuster is or the other side of came?

krazyreese

ok i redid the valve lash, its running smooth. plus i redid the timing belt and thats no longer jumping around. i guess i wasnt tightening the belt all the way,lol. i feel like a total a@#. but things are right now. next problem im having is figuring out why my temp. gauge shoots up when i throw it in reverse.....

can anyone help?

Slo_Teggy

Slow Driver
does your fan turn on if you let the car sit for a while? Did you put coolant in and make sure it's full?