what's tuning all about???

sn@ke3ater

I've known since I got my DA that I wanted to make it into the most awesome car it could be. it is after all, the car that made me into a "car guy". I just finished my first clutch replacement (took me three days) and I'm starting to realize that not only is this an extremely rewarding hobby, but that I"m not as bad at it as I thought I'd be.

So my question to all of you is this: what are all the possible things that a person (tuner, car guy, whatever we're referred to as) can do to improve upon an integra? I know this is a pretty big question, but that's because I want as many different answers as possible. I want to know about exhaust, headers, springs, suspension, pistons, valves, cams, injectors. whatever you've done to your car and feel you're well versed in mechanically, I want to hear about it.

thanks.

Amiguel6

Tuning your car or the ECU, is just letting your ECU know what mods you have so they can work more effectively. i.e; headers, exhaust, intake, cams etc

jbrown97ls

Just search, for real. Google random things your curious about or search on CI or any other specific car forum. Try to figure out how things work and if you have a specific question you can't answer, ask here. You'll gain a lot more knowledge a lot quicker than waiting for people to answer on here. It will also be more rewarding knowing you found out for yourself rather than having everything spoon fed to you.

Nick_C78

Browse build threads. That is the best advice I can give you right now. That is always a good way to see what works and what doesn't. It is also a good way to see what you like and what you don't. Then you can gather specific questions for more detailed answers.

818DA90

Banned
If you're the canyon cruiser type of guy, just to basic stuff like suspension work, CAI/SRI, exhaust.

If you're a street racer, do bolt ons with a little bit of suspension work also. (Headers, Exhaust, Intake, Cam Gears, Camshafts, Chip, etc.)

Or, swap it for a B series head like a B16A or B18C1 (What I want to do with mine) and do an LS/VTEC setup. HOWEVER, when swapping a head, most people think they can just install it and they're set. It's not good for the engine at all and you may even lose horsepower if you don't do a proper setup. You're gonna need new connecting rods, pistons, engine block girdle, vtech conversion kit, new tranny, fuel software, new ECU, etc.

If you have money to blow and want an illegal street racer or a track car, go turbo. That's the only way you're going to get the MOST out of your Integra. You can do a turbo setup that will get you anywhere from 150hp to 1000hp. Just depends how much money you want to spend.

Last edited: