Car Care/Detailing Thread

94RS

No fucks given.
So Kurt and myself have been tossing around the idea of making a new car care thread since the last one hasn't been updated since 2012, and most people that posted in it haven't been back to CI in a few years. Leaving questions someone may have to go unanswered.

So for the few that still frequent CI, and any possible new members that don't get scared away... Here's a new thread :lol: Feel free to add whatever products you use, any techniques, processes etc.

94RS

No fucks given.
I'll start it off with a long winded post on my work van :lol:

Products used:
- Karcher K3 Follow Me 1800psi electric pressure washer
- MJJC foam cannon
- Extendable scrub brush (only used on van because it's a large vehicle only used for work, my car never sees this thing due to swirls)
- Meguiars Gold Class shampoo (first wash for cleaning)
- Meguiars Ultimate wash & wax shampoo (second wash for wax/protection)
- Meguiars Water Magnet drying towel
- Meguiars Gold Class foam applicator pad
- Meguiars Endurance tire gel

Normally I wash this thing every weekend since it sees a minimum of 1000mi a week. I skipped this past weekend since it's been pouring rain the past few days.

Here's what it looked like after driving through the wet roads.

Not bad until you get up close. This is what most of the truck looked like.

Pre-wash spraydown to get any loose dirt off

First wash 100mL of Gold Class is used in the foam cannon, fill the rest with HOT water, then mix.

Let the foam sit for a minute or two, then scrub with the brush to get all the dirt off.

Second wash, Ultimate is used. Again 100mL of soap, fill the rest with hot water and mix.

This time I let the soap sit for about 7-8min and spray off.

Dry off with one of these bastards

Moving on to the tires..

Before:

After:

Both of these are used on the tires:

End result

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
I use Meguiars waterless wash, quick detail, clay and carnuba wax. Sometimes if i feel like doing a full water wash ill do that but i have to be extra careful around the area windows are supposed to go.

my dd gets washed once a year or something. I use turtle wax ice and Ammo NYC products on the interior.

JustinMcGee1

I like Hondas
Oh boy, I'll have a big post coming in the spring. I plan on doing some paint correction since my compound was not effective at removing swirl marks.

JustinMcGee1

I like Hondas
I use Meguiars waterless wash, quick detail, clay and carnuba wax. Sometimes if i feel like doing a full water wash ill do that but i have to be extra careful around the area windows are supposed to go.

my dd gets washed once a year or something. I use turtle wax ice and Ammo NYC products on the interior.
How do you like the Ammo NYC stuff? I was going to buy some but I'm not sure if the price is justified.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
How do you like the Ammo NYC stuff? I was going to buy some but I'm not sure if the price is justified.
the interior stuff is really good. Pulls out crap really nicely. The wheel cleaner is also really really good. Pulls out all the shit i have on it from track days. However, the wheels still look dirty after cleaning because I wasnt really good with cleaning the wheels for the entirety of my ownership. Ive never used the paint regimen.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'

My driving instructor/race engineer and my good friend applying decals to the car before Super Lap Battle. We used Meguiars spray detailer and the car was washed using waterless wash before driving down to buttonwillow.

Right off the trailer. Waterless wash. Might have done a session or two.

When I do the waterless wash at home I usually have the hose on 'mist'. I like this method unless my car is super dirty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustinMcGee1

I like Hondas

My driving instructor/race engineer and my good friend applying decals to the car before Super Lap Battle. We used Meguiars spray detailer and the car was washed using waterless wash before driving down to buttonwillow.

Right off the trailer. Waterless wash. Might have done a session or two.

When I do the waterless wash at home I usually have the hose on 'mist'. I like this method unless my car is super dirty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've had mixed experiences with Meguiars, some of their interior sprays leave a wet feel. I might try the AmmoNYC leather stuff as I have been spending more on Griot's products for that.

On the wheels, it seems too expensive for wheel cleaner.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
I've had mixed experiences with Meguiars, some of their interior sprays leave a wet feel. I might try the AmmoNYC leather stuff as I have been spending more on Griot's products for that.

On the wheels, it seems too expensive for wheel cleaner.
its the best wheel cleaner ive used. But its only the 2nd one ive used also. The interior spray once dry leaves a 'tacky feel' especially on the steering wheel and parts you dont use the leather conditioner on. His (larry Kosilla - the owner) explanation of this is you're removing all the grease that makes the surfaces not tacky and slick.

his stuff isnt super strong (maybe not the right word). Some spills cant come out with a microfiber. I use the brush method to clean a lot of the stuff.

94RS

No fucks given.
Griot's complete compound. I don't think I can fix it with compound, will be going with the Griot's correcting cream and the matching pads for the buffer.

I've had decent luck with Meguiars Ultimate compound/polish/wax (used with a small DA drill attachment) when I used them on my Buell's plastics.

Should probably be noted that my plastics aren't painted, the color is injected into the mold. So any scratches/swirls are directly in the plastic.

R13

The other asshole
Shitty pictures, but here's what I do.

For a long time I've just used turtle wax cleaner wax and it's done a great job, though I am venturing into polishing, and more in depth detailing, but for now this is all I have pics of.

Overall pretty good just for removing grime and giving it a clean shine, especially considering it's only like $5 a can, and it lasts through 5+ wax jobs.

And for tires I use Eagle One A2Z wheel/tire, and black magic tire shine with a foam applicator.

I also recently tried mothers back to black heavy duty trim cleaner and went in after with the tire shine and foam applicator and it does a really nice job as well, doesn't look greasy or wet either if done correctly.

Soon I plan to get pads for my DA polisher and try some different stuff as I've got scratches on the roof of the mustang from sliding cardboard boxes across it, plus there's some hard water stains on the hood I can't seem to get rid of.

94RS

No fucks given.
Interior cleaner, I use Meguiars Natural Shine. Doesn't leave that overly wet look, and there's no sliminess either if wiped off completely.

On my Buell, the only thing that touches the plastics between waxes is Meguiars Mirror Bright detailing spray.

Soon I plan to get pads for my DA polisher and try some different stuff as I've got scratches on the roof of the mustang from sliding cardboard boxes across it, plus there's some hard water stains on the hood I can't seem to get rid of.
My rear cowl on the XB was scratched to hell due to my short ass clipping it with my foot every time I threw my leg over :lol: Anyway, this past wax I tried out Mirror Bright polishing wax.

Can't see it from my s***ty pics, but it did take out the scratches.

And I'm sure I don't have to tell you that the front of the bike sees most damage from the road...