94 GSR - Randomly shutting off, no warning. New Coil, Cap/Rotor, Wires

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
Couple days ago I was pulling in to our lot at work and thought that because of the recent rain, some water dripped in to the Cap/Rotor and shorted it out. There's a bit of a dip coming in and later that day the car started perfectly so I figured it was a logical answer, the water had dried out.
I got home, took the cap off, everything looked okay, put it back together and now today happens...

Pulling in to the lot from a different entrance that isn't as steep and no rain, I'm in Neutral coasting down the lot when suddenly the engine cuts out and dies! No hesitation, nothing... I wait a minute, try starting it again, sort of stumbles for half a second but then starts back up like there's no issue.

The only recent work was that back at the start of September 2018, I replaced the coil that had failed. While I was at it I replace the cap/rotor and wires. Is it possible one of those is faulty? I can't figure out what's causing this... Help!

Thanks.

Nthefastlane

Couple days ago I was pulling in to our lot at work and thought that because of the recent rain, some water dripped in to the Cap/Rotor and shorted it out. There's a bit of a dip coming in and later that day the car started perfectly so I figured it was a logical answer, the water had dried out.
I got home, took the cap off, everything looked okay, put it back together and now today happens...

Pulling in to the lot from a different entrance that isn't as steep and no rain, I'm in Neutral coasting down the lot when suddenly the engine cuts out and dies! No hesitation, nothing... I wait a minute, try starting it again, sort of stumbles for half a second but then starts back up like there's no issue.

The only recent work was that back at the start of September 2018, I replaced the coil that had failed. While I was at it I replace the cap/rotor and wires. Is it possible one of those is faulty? I can't figure out what's causing this... Help!

Thanks.
It sounds like it's your main relay. The main relay controls your fuel pump. It's located under your left foot on the driver side. It'll be up under the dash. It's a common problem with Honda Civics and Integra's as they use the same main relay.

Nthefastlane

I pulled the Main, took it apart to look at the solder, no obvious cracks or points of failure.

Any other ideas?
I would try tapping it against the kick panel while plugged in cranking the engine. Sometimes the relay terminals don't make good contact inside due to corrosion. It's a common problem to have the weatherstripping caulk seal underneath the wiper blades to leak in on the main relay and short it out. You can also check for the 7.5 amp fuel pump fuse, should be located under the hood in the fuse box. I believe it's labeled "Back Up". If the main relay and the fuel pump are okay, I would look into the fuel pump after that.

Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key?

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
Car starts without issue when it's cold, after maybe 10min of driving is when it just shuts off for maybe a minute or longer, before I can start it back up. If it were a fuse, pretty sure the issue would not be intermittent.

Upon closer inspection, I did see a tiny ring around one of the posts inside of the Main Relay, a youtube video I watched said that was sufficient enough to cause issues like this. Tomorrow I'll resolder that joint and take another test drive. Several folks online suggest just getting a new Distributor, but I hate to just swap parts without fully understand what's going on.

Nthefastlane

Car starts without issue when it's cold, after maybe 10min of driving is when it just shuts off for maybe a minute or longer, before I can start it back up. If it were a fuse, pretty sure the issue would not be intermittent.

Upon closer inspection, I did see a tiny ring around one of the posts inside of the Main Relay, a youtube video I watched said that was sufficient enough to cause issues like this. Tomorrow I'll resolder that joint and take another test drive. Several folks online suggest just getting a new Distributor, but I hate to just swap parts without fully understand what's going on.
Most likely it's your main relay shorting out on the cracked solder joint/joint's. In some cases, soldering will fix the issue, but sometimes I've found you need to replace the entire main relay.

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
New update...
I resoldered the post, took it for a test drive, no change... I timed it this time, seems fairly consistent that after 7min it shuts off. I then waited 45sec and it started back up.
HERE'S THE KICKER!
I kept driving it assuming it would die again within 7min, I drove for another 10min then left it idling for 5min for a total of 15min, and it never shut off! o_O
So frustrated...

Repair manual says to reset the ECM, I went ahead and did that, we'll see what happens tomorrow to/from work. I also have a jumper cable ready to test for spark next time it dies on me, assuming that it will. Time my self setting it up, just under 30sec so I should be able to check it if I'm quick!

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
FIXED!
Replaced the ICM about a week ago, I've driven maybe 10times on it and haven't had any more trouble! Wohoo!

I bought a super affordable one off of Ebay, about $15. I will warn you that if you buy it, the back plate on mine came a little long and I had to use my dremel to trim it back some to fit on the heatsink. If yours comes this way, reach out to the company and ask for some kind of refund for your time :)

Hope this can help someone else!

Alex98

I had the same problem and a new distributor fixed the issue for me. I had replaced the usual tune up parts and ran the car issue free for about 30 minutes. Next morning it cut out several times on my way to work. I ended up taking it to my mechanic. He found I wasn't getting spark and recommended a new distributor (still had original at 230k miles). Been running like a champ ever since.