brake line EMERGENCY please help ASAP!!!

thehuntsauce

hey ya'll, ive almost got my integra to the point it needs to be in order to make this 222 mile trip back home next thursday, so after puttin new pads and rotors on the rear, i went to test everything out, started her up, put her in reverse, eased back a lil bit, and upon pressing the brake pedal, i had barely any stopping power at all, and on the Second pump of the brakes, I barely got the car to stop =( I then got out, and immediately noticed a trail comin from about the middle of the underside of the car, a quite heavy and steady trail of fluid, and then upon further investigation, discovered one of the brake lines had at least a smalll hole in it, cause when the car is running and i press the brake pedal, a high pressure spray comes directly from the suspect area on the line....

guys im on a deadline and there is no other options in my wheelhouse....i have until next thursday to have this problem completely solved so I can feel confident about taking the car a couple hundred miles down the road safely. Thought maybe cutting the problem section out of the line and splicing in an 8 in. section that Autozone sells and using compression fittings to secure it?? or possibly just cutting out the tiniest section of the line and using one compression fitting?? Please, your thoughts and suggestions are and will be a godsend for me at this point =/

ps,

The brake line in question is the one furthest away, i.e. the one closest to the exhaust pipe, and the leak is about 3 inches back from the bend in the line

HRubss

I'm a gearheAd
To do any of that, you'll need to flare the line, plus there's the risk of other portions of that line being rusted out as well. At that point, I would recommend to get the entire brake line out and taking it to an auto parts store that sells universal lines. With the OEM line out, you can check the piping diameter, get new fittings, and bend the new universal line to match the bends on the OEM line.

thehuntsauce

To do any of that, you'll need to flare the line, plus there's the risk of other portions of that line being rusted out as well. At that point, I would recommend to get the entire brake line out and taking it to an auto parts store that sells universal lines. With the OEM line out, you can check the piping diameter, get new fittings, and bend the new universal line to match the bends on the OEM line.
I agree 100% with your advice, but at this point in time none of those are viable option for me. I literally must get this fixed and ready to go in a matter of days and have very limited access to tools, and to top it all off my car sitting in a parking lot

Heres the exact spot of the leak

HRubss

I'm a gearheAd
I agree 100% with your advice, but at this point in time none of those are viable option for me. I literally must get this fixed and ready to go in a matter of days and have very limited access to tools, and to top it all off my car sitting in a parking lot

Heres the exact spot of the leak

There's really no quick fix for brake lines due to the high pressure that the system requires. Can you get it towed to a nearby shop and have them do it? That seems to be your only option aside from doing the repairs yourself.

thehuntsauce

There's really no quick fix for brake lines due to the high pressure that the system requires. Can you get it towed to a nearby shop and have them do it? That seems to be your only option aside from doing the repairs yourself.
Unfortunately I dont have the financial resources to have it professionally repaired at a shop =( This is what I would classify as an 'absolute worst case scenario', Its got to be fixed within a few days tops, Im gonna have to do the repair myself, and hope that it only ends up being the only thing keeping me from driving the car home. But after today going down like it did, and being able to find the exact spot of the leak myself, I really feel like maybe just cutting out that really corroded section of the line and replacing it with an 8 inch section that Autozone sells, and using the proper fittings to replace said section, I could manage this repair job myself, and be confident that my work will be sufficient enough to make the trip home.

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
ive seen compression fittings use, i cant reccomend it, but like ive said, ive seen it done, if u go that rout,consider it very tempoary

thehuntsauce

Well Update for everyone....I replaced the line with a section I bought at AutoZone, and from the looks of it perhaps i didnt get the compression fittings tight enough because there is still dribbling coming from the upper fitting when the brake pedal is pressed and pressure is applied to the system. I had to make the 230 mile trip anyhow, and thankfully, we made it safely and in one piece....so now, i guess buy stainless steel fittings and make damn sure theyre tight as can be while i'm up under the teg replacing the same section of brake line???