brake lights won't turn off

riznup23

hi my 90 integra's brake lights wont turn off at all, even when the car is turned off, i have to disconnect the battery everytime i park the car. i read somewhere that it is because of the brake light switch. can someone tell me exactly where the brake light switch is located and if this is the problem or could it be something else???:???:

jason.az1

I'm lost!
Im going to take a wild swing at this but Ima say its located by the brake pedal but Im just taking a random guess

Super-DA9

1990 DA9 LS
Behind the brake pedal somewhere in the assembly, have a snoop around behind there and you should find it. Or consult a service manual. :)

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
i doubt the problem is just the brake switch, the lights should not function at all when the car is off. might be a bad relay? electrical problems are hard to diagnose online, the best thing to do is get a test light, a Haynes manual, and some jump wires and start poking around.

pilotmarroquin

i had the same problemo.
im my case it was a broken spacer that touches the break switch. look for pieces of it on the rug mat close to the brake pedal.

Rich-PMS

Tam, go outside and press your brakes while your car is off, the lights WILL work!

It's going to be a problem with the brake switch.

jznsn2u

i had the same problemo.
im my case it was a broken spacer that touches the break switch. look for pieces of it on the rug mat close to the brake pedal.
x2 I think it this ^. @ tam- the brake lights work no matter if the car is on or off bro.

Rich-PMS

the way the brake switch works is similar to the door switch.

when you open door the interior lights come on
when you press the brake the brake lights come on

whether the car is on or off, it doesn't matter. the only way they'd not come on is if the battery is dead, or disconnected

i had the same problemo.
I had this exact same issue too.

OP, you can take a small bolt and use washers to space it to the same height as the plastic piece that broke, and just use a washer and a lock nut to secure it.

alpinac1

x3 had this issue bought a new switch works fine now- but i was confused for a day or 2- unplugged the switch and they turned off plugged it back in and brake lights would stay on

riznup23

So, the brake light switch is located underneath the brake pedal.Does this mean i have to take the brake pedals out or something to access the switch. how do i get to it? i dont have a users manual or anything like that. plz help me out. thanx

So, the brake light switch is located underneath the brake pedal.Does this mean i have to take the brake pedals out or something to access the switch. how do i get to it? i dont have a users manual or anything like that. plz help me out. thanx
Go spend $20 on a Haynes or Chilton manual. You'll be glad you did. Once you know what you're looking at, it's pretty self explanatory.

emaxacu

Brake light fix

People, people, people, relax. I have a 1990 integra, I had this exact problem. You need to get under the dash for this. Just behind the brake peddle shaft there is a switch, it has a plastic button that extends from the switch so that it makes contact with the metal shaft of the brake peddle. If that plastic piece is broken, the lights will stay on. I simply stuck one of those furniture felt pads between the switch contact and the brake peddle shaft, and it worked flawlessly, has been working for three months straight now. Yes of course I will get a new one, when I have the money, but this works perfectly for the time being.

Hope this helps, take care, long live Acura !

94RS

No fucks given.
People, people, people, relax. I have a 1990 integra, I had this exact problem. You need to get under the dash for this. Just behind the brake peddle shaft there is a switch, it has a plastic button that extends from the switch so that it makes contact with the metal shaft of the brake peddle. If that plastic piece is broken, the lights will stay on. I simply stuck one of those furniture felt pads between the switch contact and the brake peddle shaft, and it worked flawlessly, has been working for three months straight now. Yes of course I will get a new one, when I have the money, but this works perfectly for the time being.

Hope this helps, take care, long live Acura !
Cool story, you're about 3 years too late though....