Radiator Fan Problem

red.line

I need your help guys and gals, sort of a weird issue.

My fan doesn't turn on at all when I'm driving.
As long as I'm driving, my temp seems to be fine but if I'm stopped, my temp gauge starts creeping up and will then go back down after I start driving again.
The fan however WILL turn on with my A/C.
But even with my A/C on and the fan blowing, my car will do the same thing.

So my 2 issues seem to be that my fan won't turn on (without A/C) and I don't know why, and even with the fan on, my car still starts to overheat.
Any ideas?

I replaced the fan relay and that didn't help, although my friend tested it and said it needed to be replaced anyways.
I'm thinking it's something in the wiring from when I pressure washed my engine, but how would I go about isolating where the problem is?
And could the overheating be due to a faulty thermostat?

Thanks in advance!

does yoru car have a seperate AC fan? if so that will kick on when the AC is on.. if not the ac button will over ride the normal functions of the fan and turn it on (on single fan models)

If the fan is not working when up to temp u either have a fan switch problem or a thermos time switch problem...

XxCaryxX

The temperature gauge fluctuations sounds like my car when the thermostat was sticking. Even with my fans on (As they were only 6 months old when the thermostat started sticking) my car was doing what yours is.

red.line

It used to have two fans but only one now since my Mishimoto rad didn't have mounting holes for the A/C fan.
But yeah, when my car is up to temp, the fan won't come on at all and as mentioned, even with my A/C on all the time, forcing the fan on, it will still overheat after prolonged/spirited driving and then stopping for lights and such.

My friend also said it very well could be my thermostat. I already replaced it in the winter when it was stuck open, perhaps now it's stuck closed?

kfed

For your fan, check the No.12 and No.20 fuse in your under dash fuse box.

red.line

Hmm, I think my friend went through and checked pretty much every fuse in the car, but I'll double check those just in case.
Thanks!

Dizzlesmizzle

You might have to replace your fan. Try to hook it up to a toggle switch for now. So you wont over heat your car. Im goin thru this on my teggy i have a new fan for it just havent put it in. But my civic did this 2 and i replaced the fan and it went away.

red.line

Yeah, it was acting up yesterday with my a/c on so I'll probably just end up upgrading to the Mishimoto aluminium fan shroud.

saiy1412

I seem to be having this problem now, except the coolant get so hot that it's spilling out of the coolant bottle?

maddogg20

I would check the fan switch. It should be a single wire connector, and it it ground side switched so what I would do is disconnect the connector going to the fan switch, and ground it with a piece of wire to the block and see if the fans turn on. If so then the switch is bad. All the switch consists of is a small piece of metal inside of it that when it gets hot, itll bend outward and touch the inside of the switch housing and ground out causing the ground side of the fan relay to become grounded and energize the fans. Its on the back of the block

maddogg20

I would also replace the thermostat for good measure. They arent that expensive. When you install it just make sure that the little copper air bleed plug in the thermostat is mounted in the 12 o clock position. Otherwise the engine might have an air bubble.

If you go through all of the standard trouble shooting and still come up with nothing, I'd just wire the fan up to a switch. Our cars are old and there are brittle wires everywhere. Sometimes it's not worth all the trouble of going through the entire harness for that short.

Rudynicolas

i have this very same problem so far i have changed the coolant switch that is in the back of the block next to oil temperature switch and ran a ground from the negative side of the fan plug and then ran another ground to the other wire on the plug to the sensor so when it switches it makes a ground to the fan causing it to turn on when it reaches opperating temperature but it doesn't work i am going to see about these air bubbles theory a shot and see why it is not switching