1990 Integra Code 9 TDC?

swilk

I'm 21 and I just bought my first car a month or two ago. A 1990 integra GS! WOO! However it has a few problems. Currently I want to get it inspected but cannot because I am getting a Code 9 (Crankshaft position sensor). I read around and supposedly its in the dizzy? I replaced the valve cover gasket yesterday and while it was off I made sure the crankshaft and the cam shaft lined up correctly for the timing. My dad's a mechanic of 20+ years and assured it as well. Any ideas what could be throwing this? I'm attaching a picture of my distributor because it is broken a bit, and is adjusted all the way back. Not sure why or how but thats the way i bought it. Any help is appreciated!

emd513

If it is running then your slightly out of time. If not the sensor is bad and you will have to replace. The dizzy

swilk

Well it runs, It just idles funkily. It jumps up from 600 to 1200 constantly. While I drive it runs fine and smooth, just when I idle. Also I checked the timing marks and found it was right. I set the first piston to TDC on a compression stroke (basically the crankshaft at TDC) and make sure my camshaft pointed UP. It has markings on the pulleys for the timing belt. Any ideas on how to fix it long enough to pass inspection? D:

swilk

I actually did that a while back. cleaned it with some brake cleaner. It idles a bit better once it warms up now, but it still is jumpy. I think it's also partly due to the fact I'm burning oil. I replaced my valve cover gasket and grommets this morning, hopefully that will help with the leakage.

crash.1340

Did you clean the IACV or the FITV? I'm not sure what it's called on the B series. The Fast Idle Thermo Valve was filthy on my car and it was jumping from ~500 to ~1700 RPM. I cleaned it out and tightened everything up properly and it now idles about 800 RPM.

swilk

My IACV is on the back of my manifold. I cleaned it out. I also cleaned my FITV. And I tightned down the spring, then back two whole turns which is the original setting. Both helped a little. But not enough. Originally it would die out on me but now once it warms up it holds alive. :D Unfortunately I still have my code problem. D: I'm gonna test my sensor in the morning. My father's a mechanic and brought me the data sheet from work. I'll let you all know how it turns out in the morning.