1997 GS Auto Trans quit

JKR

My stock 1997 GS has 145K miles on it. I have had zero problems with the automatic transmission. I replaced the fluid with Acura trans fluid 25K miles ago.

This morning I drove the car to the end of my street, stopped to make a left turn at the stop sign. When I pressed on the gas pedal there was a very loud noise and the car lost all power and stopped. The engine runs fine with the transmission in Park. The noise which is a loud clicking noise like gears are not meshing properlly, only occurs when the transmission is put into Drive. When put into Drive there is no propulsion whatsoever as if the transmission is in neutral..

The fluid is at the correct level and looks good.

HELP! Any info/ideas at all are appreciated!

JKR

Transmission does not hold in Park

The transmission does not hold in Park. Does anyone know if one axle is popped would that cause the car to NOT hold in park?

Jeffbel

Check your axle before you dare start it again. The damage could already be done but you could get lucky with a popped out axle

JKR

What to look for with popped axle

I havn't had time to look further at the axles yet. I'm planning to get it up on the jacks this weekend. I have a couple of questions though.
1- What do I look for to see If the axle is popped?
2- If an axle is popped, where should I check for damage and why would it have popped?
3- I am interested in converting to manual transmission. Would appreciate any info on what's involved and costs?

Thanks for the replies!!

JKR

Drivers Side Broken AXLE

The axle is broken on the drivers side.

Had to chisle the axle nut off.

Found http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2848528 which has a good explanation of how to replace the drivers side axle with the half shaft. All other articles/videos showed passenger side only.

Advance Auto says they have an axle in stock for $79 and it comes with a new axle nut.

Hope to install tomorrow or on the weekend.

JKR

1/8" of play between the inner CV joint housing and the half shaft

I put the new axle in from Advance Auto and the car works now in Park and all the gears while in the driveway.

I have not taken the car out on the road yet because there is about 1/8" of play where the new axle goes into the half shaft. In other words I can grab the inner CV joint housing I can pull it out of the half shaft about 1/8" but no further. IS THIS 1/8" OF PLAY NORMAL?

I have tried everything I know to push the inner CV joint housing further into the half shaft but cannot get it to go any further.

Any help/advice is appreciated!

JKR

Yes there was a c-clip on the half shaft. As far as I could tell it looked fine.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
If there's a c-clip on the axle that goes into the half shaft,( I didn't think there was but I haven't done one in awhile) and its not in all the way you may have not got it in far enough.

Sometimes these are a pain to get to snap in, you really need someone to hold the axle, take a block of wood and sledge and smack the end of the axle to get it to snap into place. Just make sure you get everything lined up correctly before you go whacking away at it.

JKR

1/8" of play between half shaft and inner CV housing

Took everything back apart to see if I could pull the axle out of the half shaft and could not. The 1/8" of play apparently is normal with the Advance Auto Parts (part# NCV21525) "Tough One" drivers side axle I installed.

Drove the car for about 15 miles with no problems!

I checked the passenger side axle and it looks fine so I am not planning to replace it.

Thanks for the replies!