1998 Integra Ls (GSR swap) Ecu/ / Emissions

TheGrindle

Roughly a 10 months ago I purchased a 98 Ls that had been swapped to a B18C1 by the seller. He was a "mechanic" and did alot of unique work that i have now fixed generally speaking. When i went to get emissions, the car was hooked up but could not be read by any of the three places I went to. Power is flowing to the obd2 port but no information. The final place I went to told me it was the ecu. After some searching, I found that the ecu in the car was a P28. To my understanding thats an obd1 ecu. I looked at my engine and found that I have 8 wires coming from the distro and the starter and alternator are not stock but the alternator has a green harness clip connected. Im not sure if the wngine is obd2 or not but if the engine is obd2 then swapping the ecu to a p75 would work? Im not really familiar with ecus as I should be but I need to pass emissions and quickly. Any help would be appreciated!

TeggyRussE

DumDeeDum
Ideally you would want a obd2 p72 and convert back to obd2.

You can find out what year the motor is on the head, above the header heatshield and below the valve cover.
Googling will help

Edit. You can not smog a obd2 car as a obd1

TheGrindle

Update: After some more digging, I found out that the ecu in the car has a converter on it. The engine is ODB2 and all the sensors are. Now my question is, if I can find an ecu (lets say for a b16) would that work fine to just get to the emissions place? I mean I know there no Vtech for that but if I dont pop Vtech then I should be fine? I really dont want to have to buy a P72 for my car.

TeggyRussE

DumDeeDum
I don't know much about the b16 or its ecu's.
There might be error codes due to sensors like knock and crank to name some. But I don't know for sure.

It should start and run, but it won't be right.
Obd2 p72 ecu isn't much at all 80 or less?

You should definitely have the correct ecu .

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
depends on the state. This car will not pass a CA emissions test or any state that uses a CA model for emissions.