2000 GSR Ignition coil problem

heydude348

Recently bought a 2000 GSR and while checking the compression we lost spark. After checking the module and the ignition coil we found the coil to be bad. Car was running perfect before that and is once again runnin g great. Just wondering if this is a somewhat common problem with Integra's and should I keep an extra one around , just in case.Thanks for any help. Also getting ready for a audio install. Planing on two JL 10W7.Any pics/ideas on the best use of space in the trunk? Thanks.

BST_GETS_U_LAID

Actually it is a fairly common thing for Hondas and Acuras. I had the same problem on my 2000 GSR Interga last week. I wouldn't say you need to keep a spare, just know it is possible for it to happen again, and if it does, you'll know what to do. Another thing that could also cause it to lose spark and is quite common is the igniter inside of the distributor. Some people call it the Ignition Control Module. Hope this helps :)

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
You can test each of them with a voltmeter. Harbor Freight and Sears have cheap voltmeters that do the job and last a long time.

I've had coils and ICMs go bad on me on 3 out of 7 Honda/Acura I've owned. Twice on my first Civic. It's a symptom of having them built inside the hot distributor next to moving parts. An external coil or converting to COP solves the problem.

mteg

Automatic Lover
FYI, if you take out ignition coil, have the ICM checked as well. I priced out a new ICM and Coil at advanced autos/autozone and it's only $20-30 more to buy a new distributor with both included.

adsu

I thought it was a coincidence when it happened with my previous 2000 integra GS. Then it just happened to the 2000 integra LS I drive now. No coincidence. Both cars were at around 200k miles. I simply lifted up the wiring from one spark plug with engine running and poof, coil fails. I appreciated your post as it helped me diagnose the problem.