94 integra dash wiring question. Clock, radio, and dimmer switch all do not work

altezza24417

Before I start, let me be clear that I have searched and searched similiar questions and am not trying to be lazy when asking this question. I foolishly bought a 1994 Acura Integra that appears that whoever owned it before me started replacing everything then midway through said it appears I don't know anything about this car and sold it. Then I bought it off the girl that bought it after him...Now to my question. I bought the car with no radio (figured no big deal ill just put one in.) Also, the clock doesn't work and the gauge cluster lights come on but the dimmer will not work so they are constantly dull. I went to the junkyard and purchased a new dimmer switch, and it still doesn't work. I bought a brand new pioneer headunit and wired it correctly (I have installed plenty of headunits) and plugged it into the car and nothing. I replaced the fuse in the car that is marked radio/cigarette lighter (cigarette lighter works fine) and I also replaced fuse under the hood marked backup which controls the radio/clock. I also replaced the bulbs in the gauge cluster and they are still dull and dimmer still doesnt work. Car had a tan interior and now has a black dash...my guess is that when the kid did the dash, it may have been out of a different year and he could have possibly not switched from his old wiring harness and just left the new one that came on the new dash? Are the wiring harnesses different in 94-01 integras? If so,how do I fix this problem? Buy a 94 integra wiring harness off ebay and pull the dash and rewire to see if that works? Or is there another solution here or way for me to figure out what plug or wire is wrong somewhere? Sorry for the long post and thank you for any feedback.

altezza24417

I see that a lot of people are looking at this thread but no one has any suggestions so I wanted to update with new information that might be easier to answer. I was finally able to make it to the parts store and purchase a test light...I tested the dimmer switch first and I'm getting no power in any of the wires. Suggestions? Then, I tested the radio...I am getting power in pin 4 (12 volt power-yellow/red wire) I tested it at the car harness, the wiring adapter, and on the headunit harness. I am getting power throughout the entire wire. Does that mean the brand new headunit is bad? Should I be getting power in any other wires? Because the 12 volt power wire is the only wire that I got any power from.

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
There is a 12V wire that will constantly have 12V for the radio memory and does not power the radio. Is this the wire you get power from? There might be some plugs that are not connected under the dash or a bundle of wires that was pinched when the kid put the dash back in. You will probably have to remove the dash and inspect the wiring. The dash harnesses for the 94-01 models are all the same.

cody1018

Well it sounds as if we had similar issues. I had to fully rewire the wires to the deck because neither the keyed power or 12v power wire had power. I don't know how to check the wire other than a test light but I can tell you what I did to get mine to work. I went to the parts store and picked up 3 spools of automotive wiring. Black, red and yellow. I ran a direct connection to the battery with the red wire and connected it to the deck. I ran the black for the ground. To be safe I ran it to the ground for the battery to ensure proper connection. Then the yellow I ran as aux power or keyed power to the fuse box under the dash. I used the test light to test each open fuse place. Then I turned the ignition on and which ever spot got power after the ignition was on I used a female end connector and connected it and mine works perfectly fine. Hope this helps you out for the deck portion

Sent from Wonka's chocolate factory using tapatalk 2