97' B18B Head Gasket..

BellyUpFish

Well, after fighting with the car for months, it's apparent it's a head gasket.

I'm leaking coolant into the cylinders. So it looks like its time for a swap.

Anyone have a rough estimate of what parts for the swap will cost?

Weighing doing it myself or letting someone do it.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
The parts you need:
Headgasket
Tbelt
Tensioner
Waterpump

Cost shouldnt be more than ~200 for oem parts.

dlo253

Idk about less than 200 for all that with no hook up. Tensioner alone is $70. Water pump is $90 timing belt is about $60. HG is also $60, which still isn't very bad. May as well replace the oil pump while you are in there also, just so you know its all fresh.

2kdb7

And arp head bolts I did mine about a year ago and I'm pretty sure the stock ones stretched. It's just added security. Or at least get new ones

dlo253

Wouldn't hurt, but that's damn near half the price of the parts he already needs. All depends on how the car is driven. Some people say they reuse the head bolts, id at least get new oem, but then again the ARP are only a few bucks more..

dlo253

Nor am I, just saying you must have a good connection to get all that for less than $200. I didn't look anything up either...

BellyUpFish

Wouldn't hurt, but that's damn near half the price of the parts he already needs. All depends on how the car is driven. Some people say they reuse the head bolts, id at least get new oem, but then again the ARP are only a few bucks more..
I've been driving the car for over a year on the busted head gasket.

It drives me roughly 10 minutes a day and sits in a parking lot for the rest of the time.

It's not worth paying someone to replace the gasket - 1997, 235,000+ miles on it. I'd be lucky to sell it for $2,000..

However, I've decided to fix it and get it a little more reliable.