ABS fluid fixed one buzz, now a different buzz

Kgadd

Ok so I just got some work done on a 1994 GSR that has 163k miles. Standard stuff gaskets, solenoid seal, cam seals, water pump and timing belt. Some fluid in the ABS fixed a high buzz that would last a solid minute or two upon starting the car then would not reoccur. The new buzz sounds lower in pitch coming from a similar area as the last buzz and occurs after you let the car idle for a few minutes, last 3 seconds and reoccurs every couple minutes whether you drive or not. The car is idling at around 1000rpm or less. Any ideas, the ABS light has been on since year one according to the original owner. The mechanic mentioned a possible leak in the manifold, but I think he is referring to the rattle the heat shield makes at rpm 3000. Thanks for any help!

jznsn2u

Welcome to Club Integra bro.

Want to know the exact problems for your abs unit? Lucky you, that you have an obd1 integra. Click the link in my sig that consists of the ECU Check Engine light & Abs Codes. It's really easy, all you need is a paper clip.

Follow the instructions and write down the number of blinks your abs gives off. Go back to the thread and search the key for the problem. As for the heat shield, Tighten down the bolts. If it keeps rattling then take into consideration that you may have a cracked exhaust manifold. Mine was cracked and I had the same rattle around 3k rpm. I got mine welded and I haven't heard the rattle since.

Let me know if you need any other help. :thumbs up

Last edited:

Kgadd

Thanks, that info on the ABS is worth its weight in gold! I will check it as soon as there is light out. It has to be the ABS as the noise is coming from the same area just a different pitch and now reoccuring.

Kgadd

BTW...what does the welding cost on the manifold run?

mirrorimg

Probably not much. The stock manifold should be easy to weld on, if you arent worried about it looking pretty.

The ABS hums when it first turns on because its priming. Thats normal. Whats not normal is it continuing to hum periodically.

Kitkat18

The ABS light is now off after being on for the last 15 years. I heard a new one is about $1500. As long as your regular brake are in good order I should be fine? The manifold I would like to weld eventually.

mirrorimg

You can delete the ABS pump, and switch over to a non-ABS system.

The Integra RS came without ABS, it would be simple as finding one in a junkyard, or getting a proportioning valve, a non-ABS master cylinder, and fabbing up your own lines.

jznsn2u

Thanks, that info on the ABS is worth its weight in gold! I will check it as soon as there is light out. It has to be the ABS as the noise is coming from the same area just a different pitch and now reoccuring.
No Problem bro :thumbs up

Probably not much. The stock manifold should be easy to weld on, if you arent worried about it looking pretty.
The ABS hums when it first turns on because its priming. Thats normal. Whats not normal is it continuing to hum periodically.
x2 who's going to see the bottom of your exhaust manifold anyways?

The ABS light is now off after being on for the last 15 years. I heard a new one is about $1500. As long as your regular brake are in good order I should be fine? The manifold I would like to weld eventually.
Sweet, what was the problem and how'd you fix it :D?