Alternator problem, tests fine, no charge.

emarthur

Alternator is not putting out charge. Have looked thru the wiring harness and cant find any issues with it. replaced the positive wire going from the alternator to the fuse box. ran new ground wires from the battery to the head and another to the transmission. Alternator has been tested twice, and is good. Pretty sure the battery is good.
Took apart the first time, tested fine, then worked for 5 days. Took wiring harness apart and cleaned it up and it worked for a day.

Second time it gave me trouble, took it apart again, alternator tested fine (3 times).
Took the whole wiring harness out, couple of wires were loose, tightened them and they're still connected but lost charge after a day.

Are there any wires under the dash that could be causing it to short out? Or anything like that?
What should I check next?

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Trace the wire back from the battery positive post. Its clearly between the battery and alternator.

emarthur

Its not even getting to the fuse box, and I have already replaced that wire. And nothing is coming out of the alternator at the alternator post.

emarthur

also this is in a 94 integra ls. I am take the alternator off again tomorrow and have it tested and see if that is the problem. well post back and let you know.
If there are anymore suggestion please let me now. I have been fighting this battle for two weeks now.
thanks

Last edited:

emarthur

cause iam not geting power in the car to the alternator. ive heard that a eld can cause this anyone know anything on that and if so how do i test it

Physh1

Based on what you have said, either a bad ground or a bad alt...

I bet your alt is bad. Also, who 'tested' it & how was it tested?

emarthur

like i said i redid the ground string off the battery as well as leaving the ones that were already there. i had it tested at advance. when it dose work i get right at 13,90 14.00v at the battery with light on high beam interior lights my sub and heater going full blast my head light at HIDS and it only like a 250w amp to the sub just kinda giveing a idea of whats in the car but yesterday when i got it charging again it only put out around 13.00 13.4 when i would give it gas it would jump to 13.85-13.93v.
i cheaked the belt and it was good and tight

emarthur

dose any one no what the wire should be reading when there hot i got a white/red, white/blue,white/green and black/yellow.
i no the black/yellow should be hot when you turn on the key and could there be a short at my battery light causing this.

emd513

When you have the alt checked tell them to run it about 5 different times back to back. If it starts to warm and fails then the alt is bad. You can get a false reading of good sometimes when there cold... I don't which wire. Try wiggling the connection when its running and see if the motor starts dying or revs up. If so the connector is probably the culprit.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

emarthur

thank you, I will be going to get it tested in a min i got it pulled out got to drop my girl off at work first tho and i might get a new one for the hell of it i will let u all no how that work. If anyone has anymore suggestions please let me no tho case it dosen't work out, i am completely out of ideas.

emd513

I havent looked on our cars but there might be a relay or fuse that is incorporated in the charging system that might cause this to. Worth a look even if there isn't .

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

emarthur

ive look at all the relay i can find and not seems to be bad. its weird cause it stoped working i had it tested putit back on and it worked for 5 days, thin it stoped so i read were u can take the c pin out and it will work if your ELD gose bad. So i did that by pulling one pin at a time cause i didnt no witch one was it and and it stated chargeing aging with the white/red wire unplugged, I was like cool then i plugged it back in and it keep charging for about 3 days. i then pulled the alternator again and had it test for it to read good again the tested it 3 times in a row good every time. it tasted it work for a day then brought it back home next day i pulled the hole wireing harness out of the car brought it in the house and every thing looks good as far as i can tell with out cutting into the wires, putit back on the car and it worked again for two more day witch was yesterday..... The bad thing is this is the only problem i've had out of this car and it really being a pain. i deliver pizza and this is my only car i have so i need it fix asap. thanks for all of y'all help so far hope to hear more from ya

Nick_C78

I skimmed through this, so if this was already brought up I am sorry, but did you check the ACG fuse?