^.^Anything Goes Chat for Noobies!^.^

Noneed2Hate

I've figured it out guys (why 3rd gear was grinding), it was operator error (still learning the whole concept behind stick shift I guess)

but basically I was shifting too fast to the point where I had my foot still on the accelerator when I depressed the clutch to shift up which caused a spike in RPMs (from the split second being in neutral) and thus led to the grinding when I tried to put it in 3rd gear.

Ryan659

So you press the clutch, go to N, release, then go into 3rd? When I go 2 to 3, the clutch is in the whole time. And I always rpm match.

Ryan659

No I have the clutch depressed the whole time when going to the next gear. I can't into rpm matching :/
I might be wrong, but I don't think a gear should grind no matter the rpm as long as the clutch is in. Maybe you don't have it in all the way (the clutch or the gear) when you start to engage it again?

Last edited:

Noneed2Hate

I might be wrong, but I don't think a gear should grind no matter the rpm as long as the clutch is in. Maybe you don't have it in all the way (the clutch or the gear) when you start to engage it again?
It's depressed as far as can be during these instances. That's what I initially thought it was too

DCiFound

SEAHAWKS!!
I've figured it out guys (why 3rd gear was grinding), it was operator error (still learning the whole concept behind stick shift I guess)

but basically I was shifting too fast to the point where I had my foot still on the accelerator when I depressed the clutch to shift up which caused a spike in RPMs (from the split second being in neutral) and thus led to the grinding when I tried to put it in 3rd gear.
Yes, gotta learn to take your foot completely off the gas pedal, before pushing the clutch in all the way. Might as well shift without pushing in the clutch. And you can do that, if you know when to shift. Again, the foot has to be completely be off the gas pedal.

That goes with the saying, "if you cant find it, grind it".