auto tranny issues

mikexmayhem

ok so ive had my 95 ls since summer. tranny started acting weird and slipping all the time. shifting hard here and there. i didnt care. i didnt have the budget to do anything about it anyone. anyway it went out a few weeks ago. wouldnt shift out of first. changed fluids and replaced solenoids and it did nothing. so i replaced it. its still slipping and shifting weird. after a couple days i replaced the fluid again and added a stop slip treatment. worked great. i drove it to work for the day then to my friends afterwards. drove like crap again. im thinking it might be the transmission computer/control unit. anyone have any ideas. any advice would be greatly appreciated. and if it is the transmission computer can someone tell me the location. thanks

mattr89lxi

un plug that b*tch for a while to reset everything AND WHEN U DO RESET DONT TOUCH ANYTHING CUZ when i last rest i just reconnected battery and drove off..and it was driving sooo bad that i thought it was slipping cuz it would want to shift out of first and would jerk really bad when it did shift but i reset it and let it shit for a good 10 minutes turned it offf then back on took it for a spin and it shifts lke new again! try it!

mattr89lxi

reason i said reset is because after puting in all that work changing those solinoids im sure you couldnt wait to see if you fixed the problem so you most likely just got in and tried it right?? thats what i did!!

mattr89lxi

pull the back up fuse from fuse box under the hood for a couple minutes put back in then start the car and let idle but dont give it gas or anything till the care fully warms up and fan kicks in then turn off car then turn back on.. i hope it works for you!

mikexmayhem

i will give that a shot. i also figured out my teggy is throwin codes. but my d4 light does not light up to tell me what the codes are. so im takin it to a shop and see what their computer says. maybe fixing those problems will help

mikexmayhem

how, if possible, can i check the tranny codes without the d4 light since it wont work. i called around and no one has an obd1 scanner for this old of a car...94. help anyone?

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
The tranny is bad. That's what happens when the clutch packs go out. All the material from the clutch packs circulates in the fluid and destroys everything. Don't bother trying to get it rebuilt. You wont find anyone to do it right, and you can get a used JDM trans for much, much cheaper.

You absolutely HAVE to use Honda ATF in Honda automatics. Make sure to put that in your replacement tranny when you get it. NEVER put any kind of additive in there or anywhere in your car.

mikexmayhem

I already replaced the tranny and its still acting weird. Are you saying my new tranny is bad too? How do I find out if it is the clutch packs that are bad?

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
What trans did you put in? Used? Rebuilt? What fluid did you put in? How exactly did you fill it? Did you adjust the kickdown cable?

Honda auto trannies are extremely picky about fluid. This is because Honda auto trannies are unique to all other auto trannies out there. All others have planetary gears. Honda autos are built like manuals. But anyway, you HAVE to use Honda ATF. Overfilling the fluid will destroy the trans in short order. And it's easy to overfill, because you can't just pull the dipstick and check the level. You have to check the fluid hot, but you have to give it about a minute to settle.

If you don't use Honda ATF it will destroy the trans. Kickdown cable too loose or too tight for too long, guess what? Kills the trans (fluid overheats and it goes down from there). Rev the engine in neutral and drop it in gear (ricer neutral-drop of death)? Kills the trans.

But if you leave them alone and don't abuse them, they last a long time compared to other manufacturers.

I had an auto Civic with over 230k miles. Started acting like yours. I swapped it for a low mile JDM trans, but one of the service bolts was loose for some reason, all the fluid leaked out on the freeway on the drive home from a dyno shop in LA to San Diego. By the time I got home it wouldn't shift at all. Had that one rebuilt, but apparently it wasn't done properly because it went out a year later. Got another JDM tranny and sold the car.