B16a Power for dollar.

leskie_

Hi guys,

I'm trying to decide how best to spend my money. (please do not suggest boost)

My engine is a SIR-II with good compression.

Mods include;

Thermal gaskets (intake & throttle body)
K&N panel filter
ITR throttle body
Full exhaust (header back, no cat)
CTR n1 crank pulley

I'm interested in Cams but for the price when you factor in valvetrain upgrade, are they worth the cost? Or is there a better use for that amount of money?

If anyone could provide dyno sheets with the type of cam that would be great.

I look forward to your imput and suggestions.

Thanks
Dan

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
I would change the N1 pully for something else. The b16b is a naturally balanced motor and didnt need a harmonic dampener. Whats your budget? I would get a 3" intake and a 2.5" header and dyno tune it. Should be like 160whp

leskie_

Should have specified about exhaust. It has a wrapped 4-2-1 header already.

3" intake pipe is 1hp if that. I'm looking for a real gain. Not sure what a dyno tune will do without hondata, it's a chipped p28 ecu.

I don't really have a budget, it's more about how to best spend my money.

If I were to put a dollar amount to a budget it would be around $1500.

Thanks

leskie_

I would change the N1 pully for something else. The b16b is a naturally balanced motor and didnt need a harmonic damperm
The ctr n1 pulley doesn't have a harmonic dampner. It is an underdriven pulley for the alt alone. Rotationally balanced only without A/C or PS.

Joe383

If your running the stock B16 transmission I would swap the final drive for something lower. If your transmission is open diff I would look in to doing an ITR transmission swap. It will give a lower final drive and LSD. If you do have an LSD I would jump to a 4.9 final drive. Although you may not want to hear this another cool option would be to swap your B16 head on to a B20 bottom end. The HP and torque per $$$ would be worth it. Your going to spend a lot of money trying to get more HP from your B16 so I would try to do things that multiply or add torque. Your not going to get real great gains with cams tell you tune and at that expense you might as well have done the B20 Vtech swap. The only thing I would ever use a B16 for is its head and intake. I would swap a B20 non Vtech before a B16 unless I was doing maybe a motor cross car. Your going to spend a lot trying to get another 10-15 HP out of the motor. Think about it this way. The 2.0 is 20% larger. You can put 150 HP to the wheels or be putting 180 HP to the wheels with almost the same set up on the larger motor.

Joe383

I responded to this in Latest topics section, WTF.