B20 Swap in 94' LS

rcj

Hey CI. I have another DIY question. From my last post a my 96 b18b1 detonated and is gone. It disintegrated the number 2 pistion, cracked the inner and outer sleeve and dropped all 4 valves in the number 2 cylinder port on the head, and almost completely melted the head. Now i plan on doing a b20 swap possibly. I was wondering would my Intake and Exhaust and cams be fully compatible with this motor? Also its going to be running the same ECU as on the b18 as well. Reading other posts from other websites unfortunately it might cause it to run lean but i plan on getting the high comp. b20b so im wondering would it be an issue. Again thanks for all you guy's help.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
The LS cams are compatible but why not use the cams from the B20 head? I dont think the LS cams are better anyways.
And the LS Ecu calibration is not right for the larger B20. You should use the B20 Ecu for the same generation OBD as the chassis.

rcj

The LS cams are compatible but why not use the cams from the B20 head? I dont think the LS cams are better anyways.
And the LS Ecu calibration is not right for the larger B20. You should use the B20 Ecu for the same generation OBD as the chassis.
sorry i didnt mention i have crower cams and aftermarket injectors (idk the cc) for the LS. and what about just tuning the ecu could that help by any chance?

Muckman

Not a M0derator
All Stock B series injectors are 240cc.

Are you running a tuned Ecu now?
You would want to tune any Ecu running aftermarket cams.

Otherwise sell the cams and run stock B20 cams, injectors and Ecu.

rcj

All Stock B series injectors are 240cc.

Are you running a tuned Ecu now?
You would want to tune any Ecu running aftermarket cams.

Otherwise sell the cams and run stock B20 cams, injectors and Ecu.
yeah i am. but will i have to do a fuel remap to get everything right? i mean cuz i wont know where to find an ecu for a jdm b20b

96LSteg

Jemel
Correct me if im wrong Muckman but JDM b20s should use a p75 just like the USDM b20s and b18b1s. All you would have to do is enable or disable the knock sensor because I know that the "high compression" b20s come with knock sensors. You have a 94 LS so you have and OBD1 p75 and that is what you will need to tune.

rcj

Correct me if im wrong Muckman but JDM b20s should use a p75 just like the USDM b20s and b18b1s. All you would have to do is enable or disable the knock sensor because I know that the "high compression" b20s come with knock sensors. You have a 94 LS so you have and OBD1 p75 and that is what you will need to tune.
the b20s running low compression only use the p75 head. the high compression is the p8r head but everything still mounts the same and everything. but to start it was a 96 b1 swap so that would be an obd2 if im not mistaken. still p75 head too tho.

96LSteg

Jemel
the b20s running low compression only use the p75 head. the high compression is the p8r head but everything still mounts the same and everything. but to start it was a 96 b1 swap so that would be an obd2 if im not mistaken. still p75 head too tho.
I know all of that but you asked about an ecu for a JDM b20. The p75 ecu that you have will work or you can get an OBD1 p75 and enable/disable the knock sensor if you want.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
96LSteg, you know more about B20s than I do. If the knock sensor is an issue then yes you can certainly disable it in the calibration (chipped ECU).

96LSteg

Jemel
96LSteg, you know more about B20s than I do. If the knock sensor is an issue then yes you can certainly disable it in the calibration (chipped ECU).
youre still a honda god in my eyes. thats what I am trying to tell him. It doesnt matter what motor he has (JDM or USDM) they both use a p75. The ONLY difference is that one has a knock sensor for the "higher" compression and one doesnt. Most of the time this feature is disabled and he will either need to use an OBD1 p75 for tuning or he can keep his OBD2 and buy AEM if he has that money.

rcj

I know all of that but you asked about an ecu for a JDM b20. The p75 ecu that you have will work or you can get an OBD1 p75 and enable/disable the knock sensor if you want.
yeah thats what imma go with. prolly disable the knock sensor. can you do a knock sensor delete on obd2 as well? or do i have to downgrade to obd1? or does it even matter. Cuz i dont necessarily have to have the ecu chipped do i?

96LSteg

Jemel
OBD2 ecu doesnt allow you to tune on the ecu. You will need an OBD1 ecu to tune from the ecu. Now if you want to spend big money on AEM EMS then you can keep your OBD2 ecu but if you want to spend a couple hundred bucks I would look into hondata or its cheaper competition Neptune RTP. If you choose one of those two it will require that you have an OBD1 p75 to install it. If this is a stock JDM b20 it will not require tuning unless you want to disable the knock sensor. If this motor has ANY aftermarket internal work I suggest 2 things. Double check the quality of any work that has been done and have it properly dyno tuned so that your motor doesnt suffer catastrophic failure.

rcj

OBD2 ecu doesnt allow you to tune on the ecu. You will need an OBD1 ecu to tune from the ecu. Now if you want to spend big money on AEM EMS then you can keep your OBD2 ecu but if you want to spend a couple hundred bucks I would look into hondata or its cheaper competition Neptune RTP. If you choose one of those two it will require that you have an OBD1 p75 to install it. If this is a stock JDM b20 it will not require tuning unless you want to disable the knock sensor. If this motor has ANY aftermarket internal work I suggest 2 things. Double check the quality of any work that has been done and have it properly dyno tuned so that your motor doesnt suffer catastrophic failure.
oh sweet jesus youre a big help. and nah the engine isnt modified at all. fully stock. only thing aftermarket is the HAD sport racing intake manny, and dc sports full race exhaust from the 96 b18 and thats it. other ecu's i had in mind were the megasquirt as well. idk how well they are tho unfortunately.

96LSteg

Jemel
You won't reap all the benefits of that intake manifold without a tune. You will actually lose power without a tune. Reason being with you having an IM and full exhaust you are allowing the motor to breathe more and you need to compensate with more fuel. I suggest looking into the tuning options I've listed above.

Sent From The Moon

LoweredDC4

Jimmy
all b20s have p75 heads( high and low compression) except the ones with the p8r heads. this swap is basically plug and play.