Basic Detailing Guide

speedin

The Transporter
Originally written by: R1DC2. All credit goes to him

There are actually stages when it comes to exterior detailing... Before you clay you of course need to prep your car. Here is a simple and easy 5 step detailing guide I personally created when it comes to doing a perfect detail: 8)

• Wash

• Clay

• Paint Cleaning

• Polish

• Sealant and Wax

You can use a orbital buffer or your hand when applying polish or wax. I recommend using a Porter Cable 7424.
With this machine you can get the most out of your cars paint. Not only it will make your car's paint look wet and stand out, it will also remove oxidation and swirl marks.

Examples>>>
Swirlmarks<<<
Before:

After:

Oxidation<<<
Before and After:

When finish, your final result can end up looking like this:

Here are some good detailing sites to look into:::
http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/
http://detailcity.org/
http://www.autopia.org/

Here are good places I shop at personally::: "Its not ur ordinary Wax Products"
http://autogeek.net/
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/index.html
http://www.perfecar.com/index.php

This is my favorite systemI like to use to have the best result:

*Washing --- Poorboys Super Slick & Wax Car Shampoo
*Spray Wax --- Duragloss Aquawax (AW) #951
*Clay Bar --- Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit
*Paint Cleaner --- P21S Paintwork Cleansing Lotion
*Polishes --- XMT System
*Sealants --- Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant
*Carnaubas --- Pinnacle Signature Series II Carnauba Paste Wax
*Wheel --- DP Wheel Glaze
*Tire --- Meguiars Gold Class Endurance Tire Protectant Gel (Matte)

My detailed pics:

But for beginners: Claying your car and using Meguiar's Deep Crystal System is a still great, you wont be disappointed :D

Hope i helped out! :p 8)

CleanGSR

*Washing --- Poorboys Super Slick & Wax Car Shampoo
*Spray Wax --- Duragloss Aquawax (AW) #951
*Clay Bar --- Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit
*Paint Cleaner --- P21S Paintwork Cleansing Lotion
*Polishes --- XMT System
*Sealants --- Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant
*Carnaubas --- Pinnacle Signature Series II Carnauba Paste Wax
*Wheel --- DP Wheel Glaze
*Tire --- Meguiars Gold Class Endurance Tire Protectant Gel (Matte)
No point in doing Aquawax before clay. The clay and paint cleaner will remove all of it.

That said....have you ever used Duragloss anywhere else in your process? Just wondering how you like it. I've been considering getting some as a touch-up wax between details for some of my better detailing customers. Also what kind of durability are you getting out of Pinnacle Sig. Series? How's it look on black...better than Pinnacle Sovergn Liquid?

I'd also like to throw a vouch out for Patrick at www.exceldetail.com Amazing customer service and good price/fast delivery. He even throws in free samples of some good stuff sometimes. I ordered a bottle of ONR and he threw in a free 4 oz bottle of Poli-Seal and a small bottle of their interior protectant.

Last edited:

Nando

my car got some swirls, and i just bought this, would it do the job?

"random orbital buffer"

&

G3GirL

UUUHHHH-OOOOHHHHHHH...!!!
wat is clay
clay bars you can get from online or shop. it removes the impurities that get lodged into your paint out. it makes your paint feel smooth as glass afterwards, too. i love that stuff.

lanasingh

could anybody gimme some advice on a basic step by step cleaning guide? from wash with car shampoo to waxing and everything from between. i jus want to know a guide for which order to do it in any help is muc appreciated
Sorry for offtop: over the counter tamiflu

JRWoodham

WAR EAGLE!
The steps I take:
1. Wash w/ Dawn dish washing detergent...just a small amount will do...very small amount.
2.Clay (Meguiars kit)
3.Wash w/ Meguiars Gold Class car wash.
4.Wax using Meguiars Cleaner Wax
5.Wax using Meguiars Gold Class (2 coats)
6.Hit it w/ some Meguiars "Spray wax"

I have had wonderful results. I used this process on my Z28 & was very satisfied. I tried Zaino, following my step-using their products ($135!!!!!!!) & the results were identical. Meguiars makes the best "store brand" products. No need for me to drop a wad of cash on a 15 yr old car. I can spend less than $50 using Meguiars & get a beautiful shine. I plan to do some detailing this weekend on my 15yr old GSR & I will post some pics using this method. BTW It takes me about 8-10 hrs. All by hand! NO Buffers! Taking your time makes all the difference in the world.

DCwiznat99

Well my 99 ls has the factory lip and side skirts, the body paint is great but the skirts are a little faded, what would you recommend using on them sense they are plastic.

Surferman

Cant belive no ones ever heard of clay bars. They sell them everywere almost.
It takes for ever to do and doesnt need to be done often, but the paint feels so smooth after you do it.

dreamofjdm

2@DHD2r3@Th3H013Thread
my car g"random orbital buffer"

&

ot some swirls, and i just bought this, would it do the job?

okay, a detail starts like this, at our shop and it seams to work. we do full details for whosale cars and they have to oem looking. no stains, sings of the miles on that car

1. steam body,door jams, eng, weels, and dry asap
2 .buff/
buffing: when your buffing you wanna do it in stages start with a wool pad and a high grit compound, doing a foot by foot so start with and go around the car, go down with compound untill you like it.go down on you compound so you will leave less swirls, and keep your pad clean, I can tell when to move on by the feel of the paint but i have been doing it for some time.
you may wanna tape off edges when buffing so that you dont burn the paint. keep your pad clean using compressed air or a spur. always keep a microfiber cloth so you can wipe off your area and see what your doing.
watch out for rubber trim you can burn it too.

int. when i do my car which i have been doing in steps cuz its at work, and i have no time to work on my car but i wanna steam my seats and carpet and just takes time but you can rent a rug doctor and get it looking nice. just use hot water!!!!and pull ou the seats so you wont be able to see the stains under your seats,

engine: very easy just use some degreaser and alumi shine or weel acid and then pressue was every thing

rewash. tske the tape off if you taped it. then steam it again take all the compound off body moldings doorjams wipers gas cap look and you will find

dry and finish. blow all the body lines tail lights, emblems and wipe out so that you dont get dripping when you done drying, tire shine show shine and pull out the detail brush get all the compaound out from places you missed and hand wax. never use a orbital buffer. helps with wax removel.
windows: the biggie
on ex. win. i have used. wax, steel wool, razors. micro fiber coths , windex and so on n so forth you can do them how you want but DONT USE STEEL WOOL, RAZORS, OR ANY THING AMONIA BASED ON IN. WIND unless you dont have tint or dont whant your window defrost

clay is more of a paint filler where buffing takes the clear coat back to were it has to be shiny
if any ??? just pm me ill help you out

Last edited:

yaminamurtaza

No point in doing Aquawax before clay. The clay and paint cleaner will remove all of it.

That said....have you ever used Duragloss anywhere else in your process? Just wondering how you like it. I've been considering getting some as a touch-up wax between details for some of my better detailing customers. Also what kind of Omegle TV durability are you getting out of Pinnacle Sig. Series? How's it look on black...better than Pinnacle Sovergn Liquid?

I'd also like to throw a vouch out for Patrick at www.exceldetail.com Amazing customer service and good price/fast delivery. He even throws in free samples of some good stuff sometimes. I ordered a bottle of ONR and he threw in a free 4 oz bottle of ome tv chat Poli-Seal and a small bottle of their interior protectant.
Of course, this guide helps me still today.

feasty

The steps I take:
1. Wash w/ Dawn dish washing detergent...just a small amount will do...very small amount.
2.Clay (Meguiars kit)
3.Wash w/ Meguiars Gold Class car wash.
4.Wax using Meguiars Cleaner Wax
5.Wax using Meguiars Gold Class (2 coats)
6.Hit it w/ some Meguiars "Spray wax"

I have had wonderful results. I used this process on my Z28 & was very satisfied. I tried Zaino, following my step-using their products ($135!!!!!!!) & the results were identical. Meguiars makes the best "store brand" products. No need for me to drop a wad of cash on a 15 yr old car. I can spend less than $50 using Meguiars & get a beautiful echat shine. I plan to do some detailing this weekend on my 15yr old GSR & I will post some pics using this method. BTW It takes me about 8-10 hrs. All by hand! NO Buffers! Taking your time makes all the difference in the world.
thank you! this is useful content.