battery light

Teidullie

Hey fellas whats up just had a quick question about the battery light in our vehicles. Now before you get ready to flame me i have searched before and found out that it may just seem fine but i could actualy be overcharging my battery but i have a voltmeter which sits at 11 or so with the vehicle off and only goes up to 14 or so when driving or on. So i dont believe that i am overcharging the battery. this all happened a few days ago i broke the through bolt that attaches the alt. to the block so that caused the alt. to sit crooked and not allow the belt to spin which is all normal. but after i had the repairs done the battery light is still on in the vehicle. Do we have to reset the ecu to clear it or is it sensing something else that is causing this light to stay on.

GSROWNSU

if your battery is sitting at 11 volts then you need a new battery. Standing battery voltage should be 12.6

Teidullie

Well im still in the same situation i tried to swap my battery with my girls (shes got a 95 civic) and the light is still on any other ideas ?

heykosal

Angkorian
Most likely a bad alternator. Its possible all of your electrical accessories are running off the battery instead of the alternator?
The last time I've seen a battery light on a teg, the alternator belt was loose as shit, fixed it and the light went away.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
If it sitting at 11v with the car off the battery is weak or it has a bad connection. If it is showing 14.5v then the alternator is fine

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
something must have happened to the regulator. whats the voltage with everything on,lights ,blower,rear def?

Teidullie

with everything on it sits at 14 even with my sub hitting it will drop during a bass hit but goes right back up to 14 i have a capacitor im not sure if that may be messing with it but the battery light never came on before this incident even with the capacitor installed

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
it's already been said like 4 times man... it's probably your battery. Take it into a shop. Most shops should test it for free and see if you need a new one or not.

Teidullie

i know that has been said but i traded suspected bad with known good when i tried the battery from my girls civic and the situation was identical so I ruled out the battery as the culprit

Teidullie

no no kit on the alternator i was reading about that like under driving the alt by getting a smaller pulley. But the only pulley that has been changed is the pulley on the SC itself. But here is the crazy thing I was driving last night and I noticed that the battery light just went off by itself. I have not done anything to it at all and just like that it goes out. And here goes the taker right after I saw that the battery light had gone out my speedometer does not work anymore, everything else on the dash works but the speedo.

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
ah ha, pull your cluster and check the connections. not shure if the battery light is fed through the ecu.

Teidullie

So i thought everything was good but i come out earlier today to go for a ride to see if the speedo felt like working and im watching my volts just drop from 12 to off the gauge while im cruising around it got so bad the car just died while driving luckily on my street though. Oh crap i think maybe the battery was bad, so i replaced it and drove home. Later that day i come back out to go to my boys house and the same thing happens except this time i throw codes p1298 p0500 p0141 those codes are ELD high input, an O2 code, and then the vss code which is why i think my speedo stop working im gonna fuc**ng kill myself

Teidullie

Well i found out that the reason i was killing the battery was because of the alternator speedo fuse under the dash was blown disabling the alternator. So i replaced that and reset the codes and went for a ride. The damn battery light is lit again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wtf? I know the battery is good because its brand new and i know the alternator is good because when it was disabled the car died in about 15 mins of driving.