Best head for a LS/VTEC

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
I was going to use my B17 head for the LS/VTEC but since I'm putting the B17 back together I was wondering what would be the best head would be to use. I decided to use the b18b but I'm getting it sleeved out to a 2.0l, don't know if that matters. I was told the b16 and type r heads had better flow. Also I already bought all new vavetrain parts for it, but I'm pretty sure that all the parts I bought for the b17 head will work with any other B series VTEC head (correct me if I'm wrong please)

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
See I was told the B16 head was the same as the type R head, which was the same as the b17 head. I'm so confused, I really need someone to clear this up.

1329itr00

Type R
well there all universal i guess u can say but a type r head has a few different features then that of the b16 like valves i think and stuff like that and more aggressive cams i would go with type r if your not gonna mess with anything if not go with b16 cause its cheaper if your gonna build the head anyways

PogKai

B20VTEC
ITR head is better cause it has slight P&P, better cams, better lost motion assemblies. But i'd rather have a B16 and do some work with it. And if you're looking for compression.. the GS-R head will do better at that task.

cabezzzdb8

BBS wanted
ITR head has a mild port and polish job hand done from the factory plus the combustion chambers are smaller meaning they will give you more compression, cams are more agressive and valve springs are stiffer for the raised rpm redline, b16 and the itr cam are the same exept for the diferenses above, valves on all b seies vtec heads are the same size, GSR head only differs in its manifold dual stage setup some people dont like it but thats what gives it that nice low end torque, but the manifold cam be changed for a single runner like the b16 itr one

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Ok well I have buddy club stage 4 cams, BC Springs, BC Retainers, Skunk2 HC valves. So therefore I don't care about what the head comes with, don't care about the intake manifole or anything else. I'm just looking for the better cast. So the GSR will give higher compression, but the b16 flows better. I think thats what I'm getting out of this.

cabezzzdb8

BBS wanted
The b16 flows better because of the single runner manifold, the GSR will give you a bump in compression bc of the smaller chambers, GSR with Skunk 2 manifold owns b16 head,

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Ive thought the B17 was the same as the B16, also dosent the ITR head come stock with dual springs.

Still dont like LS/Vtec

cabezzzdb8

BBS wanted
Ominous G2 said:
Ive thought the B17 was the same as the B16, also dosent the ITR head come stock with dual springs.

Still dont like LS/Vtec
B17 head is the same as a b16, block stroke is a tad different, bore is the same

B16 intake valve spring on the left, ITR intake valve spring on the right
No theire not dual spring, itr is just stiffer

B16 valve on the left, ITR on the right 12% lighter that's with the stem is slimmer

Sirfallsalot243

The B16 and Type R castings are identical. Honda made too many B16 castings, and beefed them up and used them on Type R's.

Type R's aside, the GSR head is the best head to use. It makes the most power stock for stock. It doesnt flow as well, but the higher compression will yeild better numbers. A mild port and polish would do it wonders.