Bleed air from coolant

Hkddc

I have a slight problem.
I have air in my coolant and I've tried bleeding it out 3 or 4 times, heater on hot and fan off, and spent over an hour each time trying to get all the air out and air keeps getting back in. I don't have a bleeder screw anymore because I snapped it off and they don't make that particular part anymore. Only one without the bleeder screw.
I think the head gasket has gone and it leaking compression into the coolant but I'd rather try to get a couple ideas to try before going that route.

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
If i'm reading this right, isn't the air getting into your system from the compression in the engine due to a faulty head-gasket? What some people do here is leave the radiator cap off and run the car until the fans come on, that's how they bleed the air.
- Aaron

Hkddc

Well the only reason I'm questioning the head gasket because it has a couple symptoms. Like every time I bleed the cooling system of air, more air comes out of no where.
But when I start the car up. I feel the hoses and they don't feel any harder than they do when the car is off. I know if a head gasket is leaking compression into the cooling system the hoses will feel harder on start up.
Maybe there's just a shit ton of air in the system and I have to keep bleeding it. I'm going to try again today and give the results.

12:20 PM 01/05/14

Muckman

Not a M0derator
It shouldnt be that hard to bleed a stock radiator. They removed the bleeder screw because the radiator fill cap sits higher anyways. You simply warm the engine up until the coolant level is at the top of the fill neck and put the cap on. Let the engine cool down completely (6+ hours) and top it off. Then it should be bled.

If you still get more air then you have a leak somewhere or head gasket is compromised.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
A second way to burp the system is using one of THESE. Put that where the cap goes, fill with coolant/water, run car with the heat on, until the fan comes on.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
I have one of those. They are fantastic.