Brakes Grinding?

Suprman91

"Zip-Tie-It!" - Wisdom
I noticed that sometimes when im crusing i hear what sounds like grinding from the rear tires. I checked the pads and they still got a good amount of pad in them. When i step on the brakes they grind but not all the time. Also when i cruse the grinding comes and goes. It's tripping the shit out of me. What do you guys think it is?

mjones73

Did you check the inner pads too? I had a hung caliper on the back that wore the crap out of the inner pad but the outer one looked fine.

Hot.Damn.

newb and awesome
Best thing to do is pull the calipers and check the inside pads. You could still have some friction material left but the metal squeler tab could be what telling you pads are getting low. As mentioned before a caliper could hang up and eat a inner pad with a quickness. I suggest when putting the caliper back on lubricate the slide pins in the caliper bracket. The slide pins can gunk up and stick if not lubricated every so often.

I hope that helps

Ryan

ricardofavela11

maybe its a animal trapped underneath your car? lol

nah, but from what i hear, the pads have different "warning" stages...like if you hear it making noise sometimes, then your pads are telling you that its running low, as if you need to start investing in new ones...they call it the warning stage just to let the driver know that the pad is about to be done in a matter of months..so that might be the case.

hoped that helped, not saying that is the case but if you have the money just buy new ones at vatozone and if it continues to make the noise, then you know its something else...

Spyder Java

1995 Integra LS SE
Also if you live in a state that gets snow and they put down sand or dirt (or just a state that has a lot of sand) that could also be in between the pads and the rotor and cause a grinding sound. Try taking them off and using brake cleaner to clean the pads and rotor. It could also be your wheel bearings.

Suprman91

"Zip-Tie-It!" - Wisdom
When a brake starts warning that its going out its more like a high pitch whistle/squeal. This sounds like something grinding kind of in like a rotation manner. When I'm crusing it sounds like the grinding noise is rotating with the wheel. When I hit the brakes its just a smooth high pitch grind. I checked it out today in the morning and the center( I think its called a hub) appears to be rusted aswell as the round edge of the rotors. Could this be it? I don't have a jack and no one I know has one or wants to let me use it so I can't check if its the wheel bearing. I checked out a vid on youtube to see if the sound was similar to vids saying they had wheel bearing noises and that noise is different from mine.

mjones73

Are you able to see the inner pads, see my post above, had the similar problem with mine where the outer part of the pad looked fine, the inside was shot because of a frozen caliper slider.

72Spitfire

Well, your ABS light is on. It sounds like brake pad grinding. Pull the rear brakes apart. New pads and rotors, clean the ABS sensor. I'll be that fixes the issue.