Broken seat bolt

dudeskee1325

As the title says, one of my seat bolts was cross threaded and I had to cut it out. After doing so I came across this:

I have no idea how I was able to do this (just being too cool I guess) and I also have no idea how to fix it. Any suggestions?

Nick_C78

Orrr use an easy out/extractor drill bit. You must have tried really hard to fuck that up by the way

R13

The other asshole
Well it's already f***ed up so just do what I said and forget it lol

Muckman

Not a M0derator
I had a similar situation where I welded a bolt onto the floor making it into a stud sorta.

R13

The other asshole
I had a similar situation where I welded a bolt onto the floor making it into a stud sorta.

That would be ideal so you wouldn't have to use 2 wrenches to remove it.

Sadly some of us peasants don't have access to a welder. :(

dudeskee1325

Hm, jb weld... But I'm sadly an unskilled peasant so I can't weld I right now. I'll check how much force jb weld can take and see about that and perhaps get it welded or learn to weld down the road.

Nick_C78

Ok, the picture is broken for me...I am confused as to why you can just get the stud out and retap the threads for a 10mm or something.

dudeskee1325

Weird that the pic was broken for you. Thanks for the fix though. Does anybody know if that part of the floor goes down to something important or just metal? I did a brief look earlier and I'm pretty sure there's nothing important where I'd have to drill

Also, if I do decide to jb weld, I could just use it to secure a nut to where the old one used to be, if I can get it to stay while it cures?

R13

The other asshole
What do you need to drill for?

You should just be able to stick the bolt up through the bottom and put a nut on it no problem.

I say put the bolt up from the bottom instead of putting the nut down there because of dirt and water, don't want the threads to get rusted up or it'll be more difficult to remove in the event that you have to.

Side note: If you JB weld it you could also use the nut to hold the head of the bolt up against the bottom side of the car while it cures.

Edit: another side note, Use a flanged bolt as well if you can find one at the local hardware store, the JB weld likely won't hold it if you use a washer on a regular bolt.

Last edited:

dudeskee1325

If you look at that picture, the space after the hole isn't the ground, that's more metal. I cannot see the ground through that hole, just a void and more metal.

What I was thinking was getting a nut that's about the same size as the hole, jam it in there, jb weld it, and wham bam thank you ma'am told it up and call it a day.

If I go the route of going through the bottom, I would have to drill, jb weld a bolt to the frame, paint, and put a zinc coated bolt through to prevent rusting, or paint it also.