cable trans doesn't want to go into gears

loudpackDB1

just got done putting my motor back together and got in the car to drive it and its hard as all hell to get it into gears. i can scratch it into reverse and the clutch works as it should once its in gear. also i noticed if i put it into reverse and then into try for first it will go in sometimes. when im rolling its not to big of an issue but i know it was alot smother before i took my trans off and did all the rebuilding to my motor. i also know my shift linkage is on correctly cuz i know the direction the stationary pin was facing on it. this is bugging the ish out of me since after i changed my head gasket to find out after reinstalling my motor that it was the littlest cheapest hose with a crack leaking coolant and making it look like a bad gasket. smh. i would love some help and tryed to search google and this site and didnt find any matching problems or info. thanks everyone!

Prozon

Kris
Will it shift gears fine with the motor turned off? It sounds like a clutch issue. Do you have it adjusted properly?

loudpackDB1

it shifts fine with the car turned off, and when its running i can force it into first when im rolling to a stop, and all the rest of the gears go in feeling like im not using the cluth.

I'm with Kris on this one. Checking the clutch cable adjustment is the first place I'd look.

emd513

Mine did the same thing when I did my swap. Cable is not tight enough. Your not getting clutch fully disengaged but enough that the car won't move

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

twenty_four_SX

most likely your clutch cable is a little to loose. tighten it up a bit and you a good to go. if not, then your synchros are out, but then you said you had no problem before, so it has to be your cable.

92_JDM

not to steal the post or anything but where do you guys like to have your clutch to engage?

Twriddles

mine starts to engage right in the middle of the pedal movement. that way you know its getting fully engaged and fully disengaged.

92_JDM

mine starts to engage right in the middle of the pedal movement. that way you know its getting fully engaged and fully disengaged.
mine engage further in which i do not like, do i twist the white adjustable knob clockwise or counterclockwise?

Twriddles

mine engage further in which i do not like, do i twist the white adjustable knob clockwise or counterclockwise?
yeah basically, its a fine line to walk to get it right. You don't want to adjust it too much, you could cause other problems.
here is a good video, i think its the opposite of your problem, but the adjustment is the same, just reversed.

Last edited: