CEL after Catback install, what could be the cause?

Speedie408

Guys,

I have not checked the code yet since it's late but I just installed my catback exhaust earlier. After the install, I started up the car and like 5-10 secs later the CEL lights up. I already tried disconnecting the battery but it's still coming on. I took it for a drive and it held out till 15 mins into the drive, under normal driving conditions.

What could be causing this? I used brand new gaskets on all flanges.

I'll check what code it's throwing tomorrow but just wanted to ask everyone to see if anyone has had this happen to them before.

Thanks,

Nick

DC Guardian

Uniqueness defines
This happened after installing pipe and muffler? No new cat? Odd... obd1 or 2? I read it freaks out when an o2 (usually the second) senses high pressure i believe, as in super flowy flow.

Sent from my DC4

Speedie408

Obd1
Installed RS-R catback exhaust. Nothing else was replaced. Everything was working fine before the install.

Speedie408

It's throwing code 41. O2 sensor probably took a dump after we went to town on the flange nuts with an impact gun. Damn it!! One thing after another with this old car.

Thanks guys.

DC Guardian

Uniqueness defines
Grinder ftw :p

On the other hand, now u have a sick exhaust :)

Sent from my DC4

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
I didnt replace anything when i made any exhaust changes. If you(any of you) had problems it implies the sensors were ready to go anyway or the mods brought out any inconsistency in your current tune or emissions output.

Also youre incorrect about increasing exhaust diameter (increasing exhaust flow) and high pressure. More flow, more velocity creates low pressure.

Speedie408

Funny/wierd thing is, I've been driving around in it since the install and it would only come on during the day when the climate is hotter. At night the car runs with no CEL. :/

This should be a question for a different thread but since I have you guys here, has anyone ever used a wideband as a O2 sensor? I know it's possible but does anyone know where I can find a how to?

Speedie408

Seems the car fixed itself. Maybe the ecu just needed some time to recalculate the new ratios? I've driven it hard on several occasions now without a single CEL.