CEL after driving for about 40 minutes to an Hour?

rayray88

Hi, anyone have the issue where the s300 turns on a CEL after driving for about 40 minutes to a hour?

I did look around to see if there are any leaks, and there are none

both the pipes for the cooling for the radiator to the engine (upper and lower) both get hot.

I tried the method of seeing if there are air bubbles within the radiator, and there arent any, so im kind of lost.

and my fan does activate appropriately.

Im running a b16b CTR engine and a 94 ls body

(I did check the CEL number and it is 11)

Im thinking that it may be time for a new water pump? anyone else have any ideas?

Last edited:

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Instead of making me look up what code 11 is, what did Hondata say for a description of code 11?

rayray88

code 11 which is the Hondata code for overheating protection.

the engine coolant temp sensor is signalling there is a overheating problem, the thing is, I dont know what from. as i said nothing leaks.

the upper and lower pipes both get hot as hell so fluid is being transferred in and out of the engine and radiator.

and my radiator fan is working correctly.

im wondering if i need a new engine coolant temp sensor? some how ? ,,,idk im hella out of ideas here

Muckman

Not a M0derator
So you're saying its not over heating but Hondata thinks its over heating? Or you dont know if its overheating?
What is the ECT value?

rayray88

So you're saying its not over heating but Hondata thinks its over heating? Or you dont know if its overheating?
What is the ECT value?
I personally am not sure if the engine really is overheating according to basic visual inspection there isnt any signs of it showing of overheating (obnoxious smoking or anything like that) and i think that the hondata is throwing the code because it sees that the temp is reaching that of being too dangerous, I am not sure of how to check the ECT valve value, Im not the most engine technical guy, I just know some of the basics lol. I also know that the hondata is set to go off at a certain temperature but i dont know what temperature that is exactly.

I've heard there is a program where I can connect my laptop to the hondata and check the temp of the engine but I would feel strange messing with something I have no experience in lol.

I would need step by step instructions on how to use the program and what to look for.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Holy hell, I'm helpful but not that helpful.

Just check the temp gauge on the cluster. Is it higher than normal when this occurs?

rayray88

the needle never seems to reach the middle, it always stops right before it touches the middle. between cold and hot (temp gauge)

Muckman

Not a M0derator
It should never get more than 1/4. Your engine is actually over heating. The Hondata safe guards are working.

rayray88

Ill take a pic tommorow, evening to give you a better idea as to where exactly the needle is.

and any idea as to how I can resolve the overheating issue?

rayray88

I snagged a before and after of when the radiator fan is off and on.

I didnt drive long enough for the CEL to pop on, and I did let the fan run with the cap open and i lightly squeezed the upper pipe and i seen "some bubbles" but not many and like a few random dirt chip things idk where the hell it came from but it got pushed out after i squeezed abit more to see if anymore would come out and it didnt.

Before : (This is where the needle sits before I start the car obviously)

After: (this is when the fan turned on)

This is also basically the area it stays at when i get the CEL....

Last edited:

Muckman

Not a M0derator
OK thats no where near the middle. Thats normal operating temp.
You need to contact a tuner to check out the Hondata config.
Its possible the overheat safeguard is set too low.

If you knew how to connect then it would be a simple change.

rayray88

I did find out that the CEL turns on once the needle reaches the 7th pin on the gauge, if this isnt overheating then yeah the CEL temp does need to be moved back on the hondata unit itself.

The earlier pic I posted yesterday, the temp needle was between the 6th and 7th pin, and thats where it usually stays for a while.

Im using the full blown motorsports civic half radiator, its supposed to be 3 core I believe.

Last edited:

rayray88

It should never get more than 1/4. Your engine is actually over heating. The Hondata safe guards are working.
I did a bit more research and read up on Smanager for the s300, then downloaded it. I found out that my car is actually overheating and throwing a code at 223.5 degrees Fahrenheit.

my radiator fan overide is set at 190 degrees fahrenheit. and the default speed is 31mph under the fan overide option.

Im actually starting to think that the issue is between the water pump or the fan just isnt strong enough to keep the temps down?